'58 - 348 Tri Power

32chevy348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
:weldHow far did you set the engine back? Like the headers. Filled in cowl ,was that to make room for the distributor ? This is a nice build.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
:weldHow far did you set the engine back? Like the headers. Filled in cowl ,was that to make room for the distributor ? This is a nice build.
I don't know the exact measurement but it's not that much. There is still a lot of leg + head room for a 6' person.
The proportions + stance/rake were meticulously scrutinized.
No, the distributor fits under, it was just a sliver for the breather. Although I do like the look of a visible distributor. Cutting a half circle out did cross my mind for a more aggressive look.
Thanks 32chevy348

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Headers completed.
Working on exhaust. Will run them under and either out the sides behind cab or straight out back. Will run hidden plugs in headers for getting out of city driving and avoid fines as I anticipate this beast will be quite loud with these headers !!! :laugh4
PiG7dn1.jpg
XHMZINQ.jpg

aRe7C3i.jpg
yCKKGa7.jpg

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Headers completed.
Working on exhaust. Will run them under and either out the sides behind cab or straight out back. Will run invisible plugs on headers for city driving and avoid fines as I anticipate this beast will be quite loud with these headers !!! :laugh4NAH,Don't worry about it!!!!!!!
PiG7dn1.jpg
XHMZINQ.jpg

aRe7C3i.jpg
yCKKGa7.jpg

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Was there any consideration on firing order with the placement of the pipes into each other? I would guess not. You have 8/4 paired, may sound strange?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
How do they sound? My Tri-Y Dougs have a strange low RPM sound.
I don't know yet as I had to grab my window of opportunity and get my motor in the shop back in mid summer.
For that reason the driver set wasn't welded yet.
Motor is back to finish stuff on car and will go back for dyno!
As Don said, for my application, probably not enough of a nuance to notice!!! I hope.
The guys at the motor shop weren't concerned when they saw the headers...at least not for this application...

I CANNOT WAIT to hear this motor run :)

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
I know the main focus here are the motors, but I thought you guys might still enjoy the build progress! :D
A little update.
Some fab pics of the cone, floors + firewall
jRXHaSo.jpg

There is room to customize and cut some out of the firewall centre box to allow more foot space for pedals if necessary!
RwmlW4b.jpg
bDzdsk0.jpg
bxKcJna.jpg
UdWaOyI.jpg
1RTpxBM.jpg

Even with the channeling, there is surprisingly a lot of head room.
We chopped 5" of the top too!!!
Leg room won't be an issue either for a 6' person in there, so all of my 5'8" will be quite cozy....:cool::brow
hZW0JwO.jpg
7tzd9VF.jpg

CdCZygE.jpg

Had to cut a tiny sliver of the top cowl to make room for the carb!
xgrowy8.jpg

And plenty of room for the distributor...
NjODbkV.jpg

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Cool project!!! You're doing a lot of very nice fabricating there! :appl:appl:applJust a thought, is there enough firewall/ cowl clearance to remove/install the distributor if need be?
No clearance. It wasn't an omission either!
It's a sacrifice you have to make to the Hot Rod Gods :laugh4 with these trucks when you want an aggressive recessed squished front end and have these types of proportions.
It's what makes them look so good when one manages to achieve the look.
Not uncommon. Below is a photo of one of my inspiration trucks.
His has an Oldsmobile rocket motor and has the same issue...and even had to notch 2 carbs out of the top cowl as his motor is even more recessed!
But look how cool it looks with such a small front end!!!!
SuvraTY.png
SPlxqBE.png
otGrjh7.png

Last edited: