'58 - 348 Tri Power

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Hi,
I am a newbie here on the forum.
I recently purchased an early '58 348 passenger motor which needs some rebuilding.
I am hoping to get some answers here on the forum.
I would like to go tri power direction and would be content with 300-350 hp.
I was told the heads had been reworked and are good.
I'll kick start by asking these questions:
-With an 811 block which work with 791 heads can I use new Edelbrock aluminum heads?
-Can I drill cooling wholes and use later heads?
-If the Edelbrock aluminum heads work, will these work with the tri intake manifold?
-Are there different types of tri power intakes?
-Since I have small ports, what are my options?

Basically what would be the most economical way to attain my tri power set up goal?

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm not sure if the Edelbrock heads will work on your block, but the tri power intake will not fit the Edelbrock heads as they are large ports and the tri power is small port. Others here will know if the heads will work with your block.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
811 block does not have the cooling passages so it can't just be drilled. Any later heads would have to have the cooling holes plugged to use on that block.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You wouldn't want the Eddie,or any other large port head on this engine anyway. Since you are only looking for about 1 horse per inch,use a forged 10-5-1 piston, a cam from Show Cars[pn 0949 or 0950 will fill the bill here].To keep the cost down,use an Edelbrock single 4 bbl intake,a 625 Street Demon carb,and either 2 1/2 outlet manifolds,small tube[1 3/4 tube] tri-y headers even better.What's the engine going in?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
UPDATE: Just found out that my block is 872 with the cooling wholes.
But the casting codes section say they will not work with the 791 heads!!! which I have!!!!
I assume they were blocked with set screws maybe?
Does this open up new avenues???

And am I correct to assume that all the trip-ower set ups out there are all using original heads and not new heads as the Edelbrocks?

How did this set up work here? tri-power small port with big port Edelbrock heads?
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/big-port-tri-power.36267/

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes they were most likely plugged.That isn't a factory intake,but a custom made [$$$$$$$$$$] Lamar Walden manifold.You'd never get those Holley carbs on a factory manifold any way.Check out my recommendations in the "Introduce yourself" section.

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
You wouldn't want the Eddie,or any other large port head on this engine anyway. Since you are only looking for about 1 horse per inch,use a forged 10-5-1 piston, a cam from Show Cars[pn 0949 or 0950 will fill the bill here].To keep the cost down,use an Edelbrock single 4 bbl intake,a 625 Street Demon carb,and either 2 1/2 outlet manifolds,small tube[1 3/4 tube] tri-y headers even better.What's the engine going in?

Hope I'll remain in the good books here :pray Lol.....it's going into a 1937 Ford truck.
Are you suggesting I stick with the original set up already on there?
Here some pics of my motor:
IMG_3891_zpsdvziurpr.jpg
IMG_3877_zpstypotja7.jpg
IMG_3879_zps1polzusc.jpg
IMG_3878_zpsyi8ues4r.jpg
IMG_3887_zps16dso5tj.jpg
IMG_3876_zpsctkucyxm.jpg

I just love the look of a trip-power or at the very least dual carb.
Here is a link to an inspiration motor in a Ford coupe:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1931...-of-love-for-an-entire-hot-rodding-community/
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1931...-of-love-for-an-entire-hot-rodding-community/

Obnxs1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Everyone loves the look of tri-power. That's why they get so much for them. You can probably get as good or better performance from the Eddy intake and a decent carb for much less money.

A dual carb setup is probably going to be WAY too much carb for a mild engine. Others with more knowledge can confirm that or tell me I'm wrong.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,I wouldn't want the stock manifold and carb,it will cost you to much power.The main reason for the single 4bbl over the tri power is the cost.I too love the looks,but be prepared to either find the correct tri power carbs,or spend around 400 bucks for the necessary conversion kits to convert the regular 2gc carbs for proper operation.If your rocker arms are in good shape,then you can reuse them with either cam that I mentioned.I wouldn't use that cast iron powerglide either.As far as the truck goes,the only good Ford truck is one with a Chevy[preferably a W] engine it it!:rulez:deal

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
No,I wouldn't want the stock manifold and carb,it will cost you to much power.The main reason for the single 4bbl over the tri power is the cost.I too love the looks,but be prepared to either find the correct tri power carbs,or spend around 400 bucks for the necessary conversion kits to convert the regular 2gc carbs for proper operation.If your rocker arms are in good shape,then you can reuse them with either cam that I mentioned.I wouldn't use that cast iron powerglide either.As far as the truck goes,the only good Ford truck is one with a Chevy[preferably a W] engine it it!:rulez:deal

Hahaha yup!!! The motor will be the truck...:D

No power glide, found a T5 - S10 in really good condition for cheap came with the adapter plate, bell housing, new clutch and fly wheel.
As far as the tri-power I am ready to dish out for the look.
I was reading somewhere a guy said there is a way to make the small port intake work with the big port Eddy, without it messing up the flow...(Edit: the other way around!!!)
thoughts Don?
The shop guy I'm using is a top notch....they won't let anything out of there with their name on it if it ain't proper. I've seen much of their work it is :good

Last edited:

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
If you're going to spend money on small port heads, consider using 817's or (cheap to buy) 333's. They have a much larger bowl. Maybe use 409 crank/rods?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Your 872 block with cooling passages is as good as the o11 block, maybe better. All you have to do is drill the holes where the dimples are.
Let me rephrase/sum it up:

Not using my 971 heads.
What is the best direction to take if I'm stubborn and want to go tri-power on a 872 block?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Your 872 block with cooling passages is as good as the o11 block, maybe better. All you have to do is drill the holes where the dimples are.

Or is there an option to stick with my 971 heads as well with a tri-power set up? or do I absolutely need cooling holes with that option?
Or should I completely forget about my 971 heads

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Sure you can use your current heads with the tri power set up.It bolts right up,no problem.

Will this whole cooling issue be a problem? exposed motor and all...lol not sure will have any impact :dunno
Thank you for your patience Don :bow