'58 - 348 Tri Power

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Yes, the exhaust note is not the same when the crossover is blocked. When the crossover is open under the intake the two exhaust banks are connected sharing pressure at the head. The exhaust note is distinctly different.

So that could definitely be he culprit to the sound difference!!!

Now to figure out the plug!!!!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Okay then, now that is why I should do the cranking compression check?
Doing a cranking compression check is never a bad choice even on an engine that seems to be running great. Just for the hell of it swap out a plug wire on number six with say number seven to see if you have a faulty wire. What does the other bank (driver side) plugs look like?

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Doing a cranking compression check is never a bad choice even on an engine that seems to be running great. Just for the hell of it swap out a plug wire on number six with say number seven to see if you have a faulty wire. What does the other bank (driver side) plugs look like?

I will!
The other side are all like the good ones on the bad side!
Do you mean fully swipe a wire? as in from the distributor to the plug (unplug from both end)?
I'll eliminate the bad plug bad wire out of the equation!! me likes LOL

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Your speedo may be in mph,but the speed limit signs[and the cop's radar gun] are in km.You'd best be aware of the conversion.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With my 3.08 rear and 28 inch pie crusts, it’s real close to double the mph on the speedo to kph. At 30 miles ph I am doing about 60 kph. Real convenient.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Had an amazing cruise. Almost 4 hours long. I shook her down.
Plenty of highway time, running 100 kmh+
I pulled the #6 plug and must sadly report that it started looking pretty wet and gummed up.
Spoke to my motor builder and advised him, along with other symptoms such as the RPMs not decreasing when engaging the clutch to change gears after a few hours of running constant.
One of the carbs is most likely running rich as some of you thought! (What his guess is from some of my description)
There are other little things that came up as well.
The sound emitting from the passenger side is even worst after running for an extended time!
I have a feeling it's all interconnected!
It's going back to the shop and he will perform the work on warranty. I felt it was unacceptable for several of the issues that came up to be happening on a complete brand new rebuild, dyno'ed and all !!! :grumble
Hope I'm not being high and mighty here!!!! :confused