'58 - 348 Tri Power

'37-4D

Well Known Member
What is the grind on the new cam?? The over rev didn't cause the failure, improper preparation / break in procedure did.The rev limiter is always a good idea.

Hi Don,
So the cam was ok, they measured and it was still to spec. They polished it and installed new lifters, along with a few other things such as seals etc...
If I am reporting properly: The fouling was due to the valve on #6 not opening and pressure causing the oil past the seal. The plunger inside failed causing it to remain in a collapsed state. With misfire to follow and the the tapping sound.
It seems that they hadn't mitigated the issue the first time around and just replaced the push rods that had bent.
I certainly hope I regurgitated the info properly Lol
They performed all the work free of charge.
We also opted for a rev limiter, which was the only item out of pocket along with a pedestal tachometer that will mount on my steering column.
This also allowed me to replace my T5-S10 transmission for a new one that a friend gave me. The current one was giving me issues.
So crossing my fingers that everything will be flawless and I'll finally be able to put some miles on it.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Looking good, now if you can ever get those oil issues ironed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell me about it.
She runs amazing, except for that high crank case pressure causing the leak. When I had the compression and leak down test done by another party. #1+2 came back @ 50% leakage.
And compression was:
#2,3,4,8 @ 150 psi
#1,7 @ 130
#5 @ 120
#6 @ 70 psi.
I'm guessing #6 has ring issues?! I can't wait to get her over to the engine shop.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
NO Have the engine corrected to what it should be.I've always thought that the posted hp and torque numbers posted were low,even with the small valve early small port heads.There's at least 25 ft.lbs of torque and 35 hp missing here.
I know exactly what you mean Don. I was there for the dyno session and when the results came back with only 275 hp and 325 ft.lbs, I thought HMMM! :confused:no
Even with mostly stock parts, I still think we should have hit 300 hp, not sure what the ft.lbs should be.