58-64 OEM Rear Third Member Reinforcement or upgrades for strength both non or posi units

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Looking for ways to straighten and/or reinforce the stock third member in these units mostly not for competition
broke one non-posi don't want to break a good posi unit
Any info from the group appreciated

My Nephew makes a set similar to the one pictured from Canada by LA hot rods in post number two
Complete with all the bolts and hardware
$150.00 NZD plus the ride for a set

Edit This is under $100.00 USD plus freight for a set

I can post up some pics later of installed etc if you like

Steve

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This price is just under 100 dollars USD.Shipping couldn't be that much and they could be sent by mail quickly.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes Tom they would.Aubrey had posted that with the cap straps,the Dana 30 spline spider gear and matching axles,these 8.2's

will stand up to 500 hp.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Will those girdles fit on a 63 chevrolet posi? If so I want to buy a pair.
Hi Tom,

Some one will correct me here if i am wrong but i think these will fit on all diff heads from like 55 to 64?
I think the bearing caps are all the same on these years
You have to drill the hole for the retainer stop into the cap as they all seem to be a little different in the original castings
We have put them on about 6 different diffs over here
As with the ones from canada you have to smooth off the bearing caps to fit them

PM me if you are keen

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
They look stout
Are they listed on site somewhere for purchase?

No not on a web site they just manufacture for their own rod shop
Dont have a web presence as such but do have stocks of these

I would be the one doing the shipping and organizing as they are busy trying to grow their business
The freight cost i have had quoted so far is between $55.00 and $75.00 NZD (under $50 USD to any where in lower 48)

No sure how this stacks up with what else is out there as the freight from our part of the world is quite steep

They will come with instructions and photos and all hardware as per photos

I have a paypal account and Cory and Scott dont so can do it that way, not sure how else to do this backwards from USA to here.

You dont have to worry about me ripping anyone off, i have met a fair few of the guys on here and Phil is heading this way in Jan to teach me a few things.

Freight is between 3 and 7 days (according to freight company)

They are getting a better instruction sheet done up as in the past they have been doing all the installing them selves

Steve

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So have a good story for you all about that car. Bought it in 1970 340 hp 4 speed SS. Added 690 heads first the 380-400 HP single 4 with a 800 DP then the dual quad sideways 715 Holleys(still have them). So it was my high school and first car we street raced quite well(just a 348 truck motor) had pulled off the 409 badges. Most folks forgot about 409s figured it was a SBC. So got it running after something had broken the week I graduated high school. Also the week the 1972 IHRA Longhorn Nationals were. Missed Thursday qualifying but we got it running at my house. Parents were both at work. Street next to me was a long straighaway(Churchill Way for you Dallas folks). Headers were open so buzzed it through 1-2-3 turned around in a driveway-where a neighbor was mowing the yard. Buzzed it back the same way to the house. We were all patting each other on the backs and then heard a helicpter hovering over the house. We all ran in the house. Then 5 minutes later two sqaud cars pulled up and knocked on the door. "Son is that your red car?" Yes sir. "well since we did not see you we cant write you a ticket so put the darned mufflers on it!"

I did have to peel off all the contigency stickers after the race to get any street races.409 race.jpgLonghorn Nationals 1972.jpg

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
I remember a friend had a problem with the differential in his 1964 Olds Vista Cruiser that was built for ambulance duty. He couldn't find the correct rear axle bearings for it or seals. Finally, someone suggested that possibly it wasn't original to the car, but it turned out that it was. GM had installed a 1964 Buick Skylark differential in the car, since it must have either been stronger, or had the correct gear ratio's that they were looking for. Back in the 1990's, a friend was building hearses and limousines in Canada on GM chassis' and GM would modify the cars with heavier duty parts for the conversion. I am certain that they still do this today for certain builders of modified cars on the GM platform.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Steve

What material are they made from? Are the girdles cast?

Skip

That had to be a thrill winning that trophy. That vinyl top looks good on there. You were ahead of the game. I can't remember when GM came out with those.