58-64 steering

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On a 1958 with standard steering (non power) how heavy are they to turn steering wheel at a dead stop? Is it as bad as the 55-57 Chevys are?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This brings up a old memory. Back in the day when my father in his younger days he would see a couple driving a car and the lady sitting real close to the guy ,my dad said "it must take two to steer that thing". Don't mind me Mike!!!!:D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When I had my first 63 and then the 64 with no ps ,every time I got new front bias ply tire's it felt much easier to turn. Of course my arms were bigger back then . Actually I never even noticed a discomfort steering those cars to speak of. Today I might be spoiled since I did add ps to my present 63.

427John

Well Known Member
I think steering effort on non power steering cars is subjective,I've never had much trouble with them,but I've also known people that hate manual steering.I actually took the power assist off of my Starliner to run the long exhaust manifolds which wouldn't clear the slave cylinder.Some cars that use a power assist system (slave cylinder type)have a higher ratio box that would increase effort if used in a manual steering car,thats supposedly what Shelby did in the GT350's along with a different idler to get the quicker ratio steering.I have seen an instance where the steering box had high effort due to the grease that was in it,can't remember if it was the wrong stuff or just that it had gotten old,the guy cleaned it out and put new correct grease in it and it worked just fine.

427John

Well Known Member
Do the 58's have the really old style steering arm that has the replaceable ball stud that goes into the pitman arm?If so I've also seen instances where those were adjusted to remove slack and were tightened excessively and caused extra steering effort.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I prefer the manual steering in an older vehicle......for the road feel feedback...... obviously the size of the steering wheel gave you an advantage ........But I gladly accept the power steering in a modern vehicle

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had a 58 wth manual and I don't remember it being as bad as a 55-57 Chevy car so it must have been normal hard not the death grip of the 55-57 Chevy, those are the worst. I was asking because I was looking at a 58 Biscayne but it's sold now so doesn't matter I guess

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Do the 58's have the really old style steering arm that has the replaceable ball stud that goes into the pitman arm?If so I've also seen instances where those were adjusted to remove slack and were tightened excessively and caused extra steering effort.
The ball stud is in the center link. but yes 58 does have them.

427John

Well Known Member
Yeah that's the one I was trying to describe,couldn't remember what it was called kept wanting to say drag link but that didn't sound right.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As mentioned, turn the OEM steering wheel as the car is moving which makes it easier to park or make a u-turn.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like the quicker p/s box without the ram. Just because it's quicker. I also like a smaller steering wheel which makes it a little harder yet, but it's not that bad.