58-65 Chevy keys

bobs409

Administrator
Did all these years use only 1 key for everything? My 63 is that way. My 66 Impala and 66 Chevelle both have 2 keys each.

What 'ya think?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
In 64 one key fits everything. The car came with 2 keys, both octagon, both the same.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my 62 has one key for all locks...all my other chevies are 2 key cars...

bobs409

Administrator
So it sounds like up to 1964 used only the octagon key for all locks and 1965 up went to 2 keys.

Would it be safe to say the same applied to ALL models of Chevy cars & trucks?

The reason I'm asking is I'm doing a web page on keys and would like to confirm. :read :write

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Bob, my 62 Chevy II was bought it in 66. I know it had (2) keys, ignition & different trunk key. Being it was only 4 yrs old I doubt if anyone had messed with the locks. I've owned my 62 Belair since 85 and I suppose locks could have been changed over that amount of time, but I doubt it. It also has (2) keys like the Chevy II had.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, if you want it accurate, somebody will have to look it up. I seem to recall that most GM cars came with two keys but the keys worked in different combinations depending on the year. ie, some would have the ignition key also work the glove box and the second key work the doors and trunk. Some years ignition and doors, GB and trunk, etc.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Oh ye of little hope......they will be in the home team's LOCKER ROOM PAT!!!!!!!!!