58-65 Chevy keys

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This is from the 1961 shop manual, towards the front, General Information 1-4.
The 1962 supplement and 1964 supplement do not show that there was a change. I do not have a 1963 supplement.
I have not looked at my 1964 owners manual yet. It is in the glove box, car is in the trailer and snow and cold out.

DSCF3377[1].JPG

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This is from the 1961 shop manual, towards the front, General Information 1-4.
The 1962 supplement and 1964 supplement do not show that there was a change. I do not have a 1963 supplement.
I have not looked at my 1964 owners manual yet. It is in the glove box, car is in the trailer and snow and cold out.

View attachment 67250
From the 1961 shop manual above says they used 2 kinds of tumbler locks, but one key fits all.

Bob, this is from your 1961 sales brochure showing only 2 octagon key, suggesting one octagon key fits all.
1961_chevy_ad11.jpg

This photo is from my 1964 owners manual stating what the key fits. It fits all locks. I don't have info
for 1962 and 1963, but they probably are the same. I can't find any info on 1960 and older.

DSCF3378[1].JPG

bobs409

Administrator
I know my 63 only uses one key for all. I think the really old stuff always did too. Maybe some of these guys with 2 keys had something replaced at some point. ?? Weird. :D

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My 64 has 2 keys. I think the ignition and trunk is the same. Different key for door locks I believe. Ignition is 6 sided and the other key is round. If someone changed the locks, I don't think there would be 2 different shaped keys???

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
When I got my 65 I went to get an extra set of keys made, the old locksmith I have used for years said that the keys I brought in were the originals and should save them, octagon and round, because he rarely sees them anymore, pretty smooth and wore down but still work, Octagon does ignition and doors round trunk.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
On my 65 Chevelle I remember a couple of times I misplaced my trunk key so I would take out the glove box lock and take it to the locksmith and he would make me a new trunk key.

Mark

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I can confirm that a 64 is only ONE key and 66 chevelles had 2 keys. Here are the original invoices for my dads 64 425hp/409 and 66 L78 396/375 the key numbers are on the invoices.30E8A70A-4FC8-44BB-ABC2-4B8279B70F46.jpegDFBAB520-EA97-4509-9601-469F60F95FD6.jpeg

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
^^^^^ very cool invoices. Pretty popular dealer back then. I remember their commercials ! My 64 Belair is a single key. My 61 Safari wagon is 2. The original warranty book shows both key numbers. One was for the rear window lock. I used the code to have a key cut and it was perfect.

Junky

Well Known Member
Chevrolet used one key and all the other divisions used 2 key in similar years, until 1965, when they all went the same way, with one exception. Will get into that further down. The octagon shaped key was for the doors and ignition. The pear shaped key was for the trunk and glove box. Now, the exception was the Cadillac limo, it used the hexagon key for the ignition, and a pear shaped key for the front doors and trunk. Then there was a 3rd key that only operated the rear right side door. This was called a "privacy key", since only the person that rode in the rear had that key. That way, when they exited the car, they could securely lock the rear passenger compartment, and the chauffer couldn't access that area.
The Chevrolet cars up until 1965, had ignition cylinders that you could remove the key, and when you turned the cylinder to the left, it would shut down the engine, but no key was required to start the car again. I don't know when this feature started, and I also believe that they were the only division that had this feature.

bobs409

Administrator
Chevrolet used one key and all the other divisions used 2 key in similar years, until 1965, when they all went the same way, with one exception. Will get into that further down. The octagon shaped key was for the doors and ignition. The pear shaped key was for the trunk and glove box. Now, the exception was the Cadillac limo, it used the hexagon key for the ignition, and a pear shaped key for the front doors and trunk. Then there was a 3rd key that only operated the rear right side door. This was called a "privacy key", since only the person that rode in the rear had that key. That way, when they exited the car, they could securely lock the rear passenger compartment, and the chauffer couldn't access that area.
The Chevrolet cars up until 1965, had ignition cylinders that you could remove the key, and when you turned the cylinder to the left, it would shut down the engine, but no key was required to start the car again. I don't know when this feature started, and I also believe that they were the only division that had this feature.

WOW! :bow

bobs409

Administrator

That explains the LOCK position that is between OFF and ACC. I have a possible theory... You could probably remove the key so you could leave the car running and still go out and unlock the trunk since it only had the one key? Starting in 65, you had 2 keys so no need for it anymore. (did I win?) 64 was also the last year for the thumb "nubs" for lack of the correct term that allowed you to turn the ign switch without the key present.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
When I got my 65 I went to get an extra set of keys made, the old locksmith I have used for years said that the keys I brought in were the originals and should save them, octagon and round, because he rarely sees them anymore, pretty smooth and wore down but still work, Octagon does ignition and doors round trunk.

My keys are old and just like yours Pat. But, if I recall correctly, my 63 only needed 1 key for all.

I guess rgtp66 and 64ss409 have the proof. Maybe the reason my keys look original is that locks and keys came from donor car about the same year as mine.:rub

Last edited: