58 Chevy steering box

58impala

Well Known Member
I have recently purchased a '58 Impala coupe which I plan to restore back to show room condition. Much work was done by the previous owner but more needs to be done especially in the area of mechanicals. I'm working on the front suspension first and the Saginaw steering gear box has a leak from the bottom of the unit around the sector shaft. I'd like to rebuild the gear box or find a complete rebuilt one for sale. Anybody know where I can find one or maybe a rebuild kit?

Thanks in advance for your help!

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Try NAPA, but don't install the new one until you have compared it mounting point by mounting point and bolt for bolt with the original. Also Kanter Auto and Jamco Suspension, both have websites.

arkyduck

If the steering box doesn't have a lot of play, just change the pitman shaft seal. That should fix the leak. Auto City Classics will have the seal and also NAPA.

58impala

Well Known Member
Here's what I found out!

After making a bunch of calls and internet searches I found a company that rebuilds old steering gears and sell parts. I spoke with a really knowledgeable guy and he said my leak was caused by the hypoid gear lube put in by the previous owner of my car. He said try to get the oil out and fill it with chassis grease/lube......leak problem solved. I ordered a seal kit which includes both shaft seals (sector and steering) plus the cover gasket. He also said that since my car has power assist steering, the gearbox actually doesn't do much work and probably has very little wear. Probably doesn't need rebuilding other than the leak problem.

Since getting the hypoid gear lube out of the box may be difficult, I have a plan, what do you guys think of this? The gearbox fill plug is a 1/2" pipe plug and if I remove that and drill and tap the top for a grease fitting, them I can just slowly pump the box full using my grease gun. The oil would mostly be forced out the bottom seal as it's displaced by the grease. Whatever hypoid lube is left would mostly mix with the chassis lube. I would do this before putting in the new sector shaft seal. My one concern would be blowing out the steering shaft seal.

Here's the website for gear boxes: www.corvettesteering.com

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
...The gearbox fill plug is a 1/2" pipe plug and if I remove that and drill and tap the top for a grease fitting, them I can just slowly pump the box full using my grease gun

That's what I did and worked great.

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
First off...if you pump grease in to the box...where does the air go????? It leaks out the seals, because the seals or weak or bad. Had the same problem. I bought an OEM older steering box.....removed mine and sent to http://www.carsteering.com/ and there rebuilt it, now I am going to send the box I bought and have that rebuilt....someone might need it. A 1962 Chevrolet manual steering box....looking real new and rebuild

58impala

Well Known Member
Follow-up repair to gearbox

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies to my original post reguarding the oil leak around the pitman arm shaft. I found a seal which is a typical rubber lip shaft seal. Before installing the seal I removed as much of the hypoid gear oil as possible, (put in there by the previous owner) I removed the pitmen arm and removed the old leaking seal and would you believe the seal was installed backwards which provided no sealing from inside the gearbox. I installed the modified fill plug, which had been drilled and tapped for a grease fitting, then filled it with chassis grease. After letting it set overnight to let the remainder of the gear oil drip out, I put in the new shaft seal. After several short drives, heating up the engine compartment and the gearbox as well..........no leaks. I think this may have solved my problem.