58 Chevy Trans Selection

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Doing some research, I guess I'm now steering towards downgrading my trans preference to a TH350. (from my original plan of a 2004R)

I know lot's of folks here will recommend otherwise, but with
58's being such unique beasts, the resulting aesthetics of trans mounts, shift linkage etc. end up straying too far from original from where I'd really like to be.

I know many have experiences here with later Impala's, Chevelle's and the like, but I'd like to keep focus of any suggestions to 58's if possible.

My build is a 58 348 3X2, mild cam 275-300hp range, 3:36 posi
100_2847.JPG

My main selection drivers being:
The resulting system retaining or not disturbing as many of my original parts or the "vibe" as I can. (Starter, Exhaust etc.)
Driving preference = automatic vs. manual trans
At least a 3 speed over the clunky Powerglide

Running the numbers, there's no denying both 2004R's & 700R4's offer astounding gearing results.
But I've yet to see any in 58's without major interior modifications or linkage overhauling.
(Most of what I've seen either convert to stick or have radical mods in order to shift correctly)
If I missed something, I'd gladly jump back on the horse for 2004R!

Any '58 experiences or trans component suggestions are gladly appreciated.

PS With all respect, I'm so proud of my gauge pod. It simply rocks:brow

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Personally, if you're going to change the stock transmission anyway by possibly going to a TH350, I'd go even further with a 700R4. Gives better gearing and the overdrive when cruising. That would be important to me. Might have some issues with connecting everything, not sure, but it would be worth it to me. Just love that upholstery, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok,If you want to use either of the overdrive units,here's what I'd do.Using your existing coluum set up,I'd get with LOKAR and get one of their kits that replaces the solid shifter rods with a cable,then set it up so that the shifter and trans are n the neuteral position.You might not be able to access manual low,but you never manual shift a cruiser anyway.You just want to make certain that your trans is in the proper detent for the gear that you've selected.

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Don. That sounds like just what I was after.
No biggie, but another simpleton question.
2004R's & 700R4's can use the original starter?

I'll have to take a closer look into to the 700R4's.
I see they have mounting rails available for 58's whereas 2004R's look more challenging to find.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As to the original starter,no.The original starter bolts to the adapter ring which isn't used when hooking up the modern transmissions.You'd use a starter from a mid 90's car or truck with a gear reduction starter AND A 168 tooth flexplate.This starter bolts to the block,is smaller,less sensitive to heat,and uses a lot less current to operate.Your block is already drilled for these to hook up.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Doing a 700r4 into a 58 belair. The starter and flexplate will need to be block mounted as Don stated. Front half of driveshaft will need to be shortened. I am using the Trans crossmember and the shift linkage kit from www.truckandcarshop.com The linkage is very straight forward. The shift indicator is being made for me by Dan Short from Fantomworks. He needs you to send in your original and he will put it together. When I get it back I will post pictures. They did a conversion on a black 58 on the show and I asked what they did and he said they were able to make it and were investigating the idea of producing them in quantity rather then one off. Having done 700r4 swaps on other vehicles I really think you should at the very least go and drive in someones car that has done it. Acceleration is better as well as highway cruising (lower rpms and lower engine temps) its well worth the effort.

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Man, I missed being here!
Look's like the 700R4 will be the way to go.
I did some YouTube searching and found some really cool '58 Nomad's employing 348's with 700R4's.
One I captured (58 Dual Quad 409 Nomad) is "I believe" using the 61-64 shift dial which "so far" captures the interior vibe I'm after.
It's glazy I know, because this was snapped directly from the tube.

Ragtp66 - Keep us informed with how you make out with the Fantomworks conversion.
Nomad Interior (2).jpg

Last edited: