58 front suspension restoration questions

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I have a question when rebuilding the front end suspension I know that some aftermarket manufacturers do not visually appear the same as the originals but functionally do work. Is there any way to figure out which manufacturer most closely resembles the OEM parts? I contacted auto city classics and all they said was their kit was "sourced from overseas". If the car is going to be judged where would I be able to source the correct tie rod ends ball joints etc. I assume it would not be very easy to tell which bushings were installed unless you chose to install poly instead of rubber. Has anyone used McQuay Norris Parts ? Moog doesn't offer everything needed in either the problem solver or the regular lines?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I sold McQuay Norris back in the old days. It was known as a first rate quality brand. But, I have no idea if that is still true. Of course Moog parts have always been the top of the line brand. I suppose a call to a McQuay Norris vendor and ask about where the part is made ,,, what is listed on the box, would be a place to start.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I guess maybe I am not asking the question correctly. Are the ac delco parts the same as the original parts. (do the original parts have part numbers on them?) Take shocks for example The originals were spiral shocks with date codes on them obviously new(replacement ac delco ) would not be correct for a restored car but fine for an everyday driver. Does that make sense what I am asking?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
NOS is the only way to go if the car has to be that correct. You might have to fight a corvette guy for the lower ball joints.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Thanks Jim I will give them a call tomorrow. I had not thought about trying a corvette shop and I have a couple of them around. I will see what they have to say.