58 Impala 348 p/s bracket holes

cgaw69

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about drilling and tapping the holes on 348 for power steering mounting bracket. Can you help me with the depth and diameter of the holes. Just want to be sure before attempting to drill and tap the block in my original 58 Impala 348 car.

Thanks,
Cgaw69

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The 58 P/S pump was attached to the back of the generator. Check with Auto City Classics 800-828-2212. They specialize in 58 parts.
Good luck!!!!

cgaw69

I'm sorry should have specified we are converting over to a Borgeson 500 series kit. It already has an alternator upgrade. So I will be installing a front mount mount pump. Sorry for the confusion.

cgaw69

The 58 and 59 348 block weren't pre-drilled for the front mounted pumps. I know all the blocks from 1960 on and 409 blocks had holes. I know where I need to drill. I just need to know size and depth. Thanks again.

cgaw69

I appreciate your reply. I will make sure to put a depth collar on my drill bit as to not drill to deep. Just starting on this conversion from manual steering box. I already installed new front disk brakes and power brake booster. I will try and post pictures of the install. Any other advice for this conversion would be greatly appreciated.

427John

Well Known Member
Anybody know why the early bocks had the bosses if they weren't drilled and tapped?Were they already planning to eliminate the combination generator/PS pump?

donsz

Well Known Member
I don't know if this applies to your year block, but I used these brackets on my 1965 348 block (just needed a little touch up to fit). No holes were drilled into the block. And As Don Jacks points out, mine is a truck block, so this all may not apply.
https://www.performanceonline.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
Attached are the photos of the fitment, it's not obvious (until of course you figure it out). I used an aftermarket Saginaw type pump (chrome so the vehicle would go faster).
don

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 60-65 blocks are drilled for the lower p/s mount,it's the 58-59 car blocks that will need drilling unless it's a truck block which will be drilled on both sides.If you're looking at an assembled 5011 block and it has both sides already drilled it's more than likely a double notch truck block.