58 Impala .Cant get my front hub caps to stay on

Douglas

Well Known Member
So, I had to get a different offset wheels from Ecklers to accomadate disc breaks. The tits on the new wheels are smaller and my stock hub caps won't lock in enough to stay on. Drive five feet and they fall off. Any help with what to do would be very helpful. Thanks Doug.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Get bigger tit"s ,,,,LOL. Can you take a mig welder and build up the tit area like your old wheel"s and then smooth down with a flap wheel and abrasive wheel disc????Smooth around raised area with a fiberglass body filler to make a nice contour around raised bump.you will want to be on bare metal where you apply filler.you would have to experiment on high high to get bump"s by popping on hubcaps"s and see how tight they get?????that"s my idea,don"t know if it"s good or not????

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Get bigger tit"s ,,,,LOL. Can you take a mig welder and build up the tit area like your old wheel"s and then smooth down with a flap wheel and abrasive wheel disc????Smooth around raised area with a fiberglass body filler to make a nice contour around raised bump.you will want to be on bare metal where you apply filler.you would have to experiment on high high to get bump"s by popping on hubcaps"s and see how tight they get?????that"s my idea,don"t know if it"s good or not????

then you ruin the powder coating

Use silicone to glue the hubcaps on, it works well and you can take the caps off when needed. A friend ran 14" 1959 Impala hubcaps on his 15" steel wheels and they stayed on for years.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some of the hubcaps, maybe they were aftermarket, had "brackets" that you could bend a bit if they were loose. My 59 had those, maybe find some. The welding or silicone should work though to hold them on.

Don

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
then you ruin the powder coating

Use silicone to glue the hubcaps on, it works well and you can take the caps off when needed. A friend ran 14" 1959 Impala hubcaps on his 15" steel wheels and they stayed on for years.
Are they powder coated ?????

poison ivy

Well Known Member
rtv will glue the caps on, however in 58 there were two kinds of caps, some with ribs that used the tits to secure,then they produced caps with stainless pressure teeth on the caps that GRIPPED the rim,that clawed into the rim and scratched the rim paint.

huug

I got tired of picking up my hubcaps from the roadside as well.
The types with the scratching teeth do stay on. And yes, they scratch in the powder coat.

"tits" type:

003.jpg

"Teeth" type:

47035611_614.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are the hub caps with the "teeth" aftermarket? I think all 58's came with wheels that had nubs. In fact all wheels 55-61 had nubs.

Douglas

Well Known Member
I bought a 1/4 " spacer to solve the problem? Does anyone have any thoughts on using a spacer? Thanks to Everyone.

Douglas

Well Known Member
The types with the scratching teeth do stay on. And yes, they scratch in the powder coat.

"tits" type:

003.jpg

"Teeth" type:

47035611_614.jpg

"tits" type:

003.jpg

"Teeth" type:

47035611_614.jpg
Are you spacing the original wheels to fit the brakes because the hubcaps work on those?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure what brakes you have. But a 1/4" spacer won't be enough with most disc kits to try and fit original 14" wheels. Give it a shot. The main thing to watch for besides scraping the caliper is if the studs become too short due to the spacer.

Douglas

Well Known Member
Not sure what brakes you have. But a 1/4" spacer won't be enough with most disc kits to try and fit original 14" wheels. Give it a shot. The main thing to watch for besides scraping the caliper is if the studs become too short due to the spacer.
No rubbing using the 1/4" spacers. As far as the the studs go, they go all the way through the nuts except around 1\8 th. not sure if that's enough?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The stud should protrude the nut by 1 thread minimum. If not, buy the special lug nuts that have .300" deeper reach, that will give you an extra 4-5 threads engaged.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I just checked my inventory...........I have 8 58 Impala full wheel covers and 3 different designs of the retainer that holds the cap on!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try to post pictures when I get time.