58 Impala door

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is there a difference between an Impala door and a 58 2 door Belair Hardtop Door if so what may it be
My understanding they are the same door just different window
Thanks in advance Wayne

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I did call but Auto city could only say that there is a different but couldn't tell what the difference was.
The measurments between Impala door and bel air door are the same as far as width and height
Here are some images of a bel air door on an impala (Gray Primer) only difference I see is the gap at the top of the door at B pillar other image is the passenger door which is a true Impala door gap not as wide
I guess is this the only difference or is this where someone got happy with a grinder the difference is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch the doors are still in need of adjustment pics not in order

100_2272.JPG
100_2273.JPG100_2274.JPG100_2271.JPG

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With more research I believe I have found the difference and that is the interior of the door frame It has different mounting locations for door pull and possibly window regulator mounting locations and the door lock is higher
See Images
Hope this may help others
sill interested if anyone else may have findings or info
Thanks

100_2275.JPG100_2277.JPG

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Double check your latch mounting point it looks like your doors have no guts in them. I am 90% sure the door striker locations are NOT the same. I KNOW the Impala's use a different outer door handle, and I believe the curve of the door is different at the b pillar. COULD it be made to work yes but it is not a bolt on. The vent window is different the impala is shorter due to lower roof line as well as the stem that the handles fit on are LONGER on Impalas for the escutheon that goes on both the vent window and the door glass regulator. I believe the linkages for door lock to latch are different too. Impala doors are not easy to come by going price seems to be $400-$600 each bare shells and add on $150-$200 for the guts. There is a guy local to me that is advertising a passenger door for a 58 Impala for $250 but it will need some work. I have not measured things or gone to look at it to see if it a belair or impala.

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes the interior part of door frame are defiantly different from latch to accessory mounting could work but would take alot of work but not worth the effort
will be on the lookout for another impala door at least when looking can know the visual difference between the doors

ragtp66 if you go let me know what you find
shipping will probably kill me but we'll see
Thanks Wayne

Junky

Well Known Member
Strap it to a pallet, and send it by Fasternal. It takes a while to get where it is going, but I heard that they charge about a $100 per pallet. I have not ever used them, and I am only parroting back what I have read on other websites.

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks everyone for your feed back I pulled out the original left door and have decide to repair it
so if anyone needs a Belair 2dr ht left door let me know in great shape no rust that I have found