58 Impala generator

Big john

So I finally got the generator light to turn off replace voltage regulator but I notice that my generator is running hot is that normal... I've never had a car with a generator so I have no clue how hot it supposed to be...thanks

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
I think everybody agrees your car looks hot, but how exactly are you determining your generator is hot? Also what were the circumstances under which the generator light came on? The system is pretty simple so with some good clues, we should be able to figure out if you have any problem.
Modern cars have alternating current AC generators with a circuit to convert this to DC. This allows them to be more compact, and efficient. The direct current generator was bigger and had a harder time generating enough power at idle. When it's working correctly, you shouldn't notice it.
One last question: do you have some large power hog like some high output aftermarket stereo rigged up?

Big john

No stereo. .everything stock.

..hot to the touch..

Rebuilt generator. ..new voltage regulator. .new battery. ....

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
AC and DC generators get hot to the touch under load. Without any other symptoms, it sounds normal.
Cruising around in that drop top on the other hand has to feel anything but normal... Have fun...

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
One last thing to verify, since your generator was rebuilt, did you make sure the 2 bearing oiler caps were filled once it was installed? I forgot to mention unlike the modern generators, the old ones require you top off the oil caps with motor oil at every oil change. Dry bearings can make it get hot as well...

Last edited:

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
While we are checking off all the DC generator boxes, did you polarize your rebuilt generator when you installed it? With the key off, use a jumper wire to briefly short the Gen and Bat terminals together at the regulator. This briefly causes the battery current to flow in the correct direction through the generator. Once you show it which way is up, it is fine. If you don't it can burn up your regulator.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
How do I get the oil in ...
Before you run out and buy a pump oil can, you can use any thing with a small nozzle. I would suggest you buy a small plastic bottle with a pointed nozzle like an eye drops bottle. It will work better than the oil can. As 64SS409 mentioned it takes very little oil. Add oil until it just fills up and let it go until the engine oil change.
I have a bottle like that I use to oil my air tools. In fact, after your question, I am going to buy another bottle for motor oil. My pumper can retire since I use it so little the oil left in in is probably as old as me and is probably turning to grease...
One last point, the oilers are located on top of the generator at the front and rear of the generator (to feed both bearings) and have a spring loaded flip cap just in case you are not familiar with oilers.

Thanks for the question since I was religious with oiling my brothers, 49, 55's, 57 and 61's when I was young, but cannot remember the last time I checked my 61's...

sshamu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
upload_2016-1-24_20-3-55.jpeg I bought a pack of 3 needle oilers off amazon for under $10. Now I have one at home, in my workshop and even one at work. Great for the distributor, generator, and whatever else you decide.

poison ivy

Well Known Member
keep in mind that stock dist has a felt pad that lubes points lobe, JUST A LITTLE as to much slings on points. a little dab will do ya.