58 Impala pics

62wagon

Hey guys - Haven't posted any pics of the '58 since my intro so I thought I would throw some fresh ones out there. I took these last week just before it went to the interior shop. Some aren't going to care for it do to wheel size and stance but I ask you to overlook and not rip me a new one. Hope to finish it in time to make it to Goodguys in Charlotte next month provided that the interior doesn't run long. Hope everyone enjoys!!

Mark

Attachments

• 123_2382resize.JPG
    123_2382resize.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 123_2385resize.JPG
    123_2385resize.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 123_2386resize.JPG
    123_2386resize.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 123_2389resize.JPG
    123_2389resize.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 123_2390resize.JPG
    123_2390resize.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 104

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mark, Beautiful car!! First class. Will the interior be reproduction? I can see black rolled and pleats. Black on black with black and more black. Nice car. Congratulations on a great job.

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mark,

I personally like it... A LOT ! not a big fan of 58 impala (sorry if I offended anybody) but this one is THE exception :cheers and nice choice for the colour too :bow

Now, regarding those wheels :dunno .... what are they and size ? because they're COOL :deal

Thanks for those pics !

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
That is a beautiful FIFTY-8
that one is perfect, wouldn't change a thing.

Don't let them guys rough you up over the wheels,
most of 'em still remember when the wheel was made of stone.;)

_

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
SS425HP said:
:evil MOST of us resent that remark :roll :roll :roll BC was our cousin.

Fred,
We love you guys who were there, when these cars were "IT".
The stories, and history of these cars would not get passed on without you guys.
I wasn't even around when these cars were new.

Heres to you:cheers

:deal You guys will have to accept that the newer generations want to personalize the cars in their own way (big wheels and all), which is still better than the alternative, recycling them to make more Hondas:eek:

to the keepers of the old chevrolets:clap

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
yeah...Fred and the rest of us that were around are more of the traditionalists in our cars. I see the changes up here also. but.....I am getting more lookers and commenters from the younger set 21 +/- when they see my "stock" 61. Of course I don't know what would happen to it if I sold it to one of them

62wagon

Thanks for the compliments guys!! I get a little nervous about posting pics with more current trends because I have so much respect for those that came before me. I am only 32 and understand my place. As for the wheels, they are Budnik Muroc II's. 18's in the front and 20's in the back. The car is on a combination of Air Ride Technologies and Accuair components. Ronnie, the interior will be stockish. It will be black leather with some silver accents. It will retain the stock look and feel just in a more comfy manner. I am most anxious to get the steering wheel back. I sent it to Quality Restorations in CA to have it reduced in diameter and two-toned in black & silver. Should be pretty cool. Anyways, thanks for the nice comments and we will get some finished pics soon I hope.

Mark

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Heck,,, I`ll rip ya !!!:D

Nice ride !! VERY NICE !!!! As far as wheels go some cars look good with the big wheels and this is one of them !!!:clap

I`ve seen these type wheels on other classic cars like 57 and 62 Chevs and they don`t fit or look like they fit. I`m not against the modern big wheels but like any look they have tofit the car.

For some reason the 58 (yours) looks great with those big spinners! All tucked up nice inside those wheel wells.:cheers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Really nice!

Wow, I am becoming an even more avid fan of those 58s. Absolutely stunning, what you have accomplished. With the interior and wheel in place, it will look even better! I can only guess how much time and effort went into the restoration of that vehicle :).

Keep up the good work and don't be shy about sharing pics. We love 'em all!

Cheers,
TomK

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They've invented a wheel???????????

Really nice:cheers

Theere's something about a black 58. Seems to me all the newer wheels look good on em, but when I picture them on my marron 58 it don't work.
I like the rake too, bet it looks great from behind the steering wheel. I'm hoping the 409 will drop my nose a little, it looks weird over the steering wheel now with the front up. I'm thinking of going air ride also but just to get a smoother ride.

Keep up the good work:clap
Ray

Rolf

Very nice, I don't think anyone has a problem with your stance or wheels. This is America, land of choices !

I am collecting parts for a 348 4 speed conversion myself on my '58.

What P/S did you use? 605?
What P/S pump and brackets?
What brakes did you go with?
Suspension?

Cheers,

Rolf

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rolf, Couldnt agree with you more. Freedom of choice. The Caddy tail lights speaks volumes. Example: When I have my headliner installed soon, Im gonna leave sun visors off. What!!!!! Yep. Dont use the darn things anyway. Always in the way. Too loose , they fall down. Too tight and you cant pull them down. Why have them? Better vision without them. I know, restorations need them, but there aint nothing about my old car that is correct, so no sun visors. :eek: :eek:

62wagon

Rolf said:
Very nice, I don't think anyone has a problem with your stance or wheels. This is America, land of choices !

I am collecting parts for a 348 4 speed conversion myself on my '58.

What P/S did you use? 605?
What P/S pump and brackets?
What brakes did you go with?
Suspension?

Cheers,

Rolf

Rolf - Thanks!!! As far as your questions. P/S-stock steering with new components. I personally don't like the way the 605's steer and drive. Also, the 348 with pump gets really close to the gear. P/S pump-I used brackets from Show Cars for a '62 409. Had to drill the block but that was no biggie. Brakes-I went with a full conversion from Classic Performance Products (CPP) including 4-wheel discs and power brakes. Everything fit and went together fine. They are not the quickest in town, but you can't have everything. Suspension-Combination of Air Ride Technologies and Accuair. Shockwaves in the front with tubular control arms with a Coolride kit in the rear. An aftermarket kit should never go together as easy as the ART stuff. Still can't believe it. Anyways, thats what we got. Good luck on your 4-speed conversion.

Mark

Rolf

Ronnie, yeah, you know, I want to be Toad...

Mark, interesting what you are saying about the 605. I would not mind keeping my stock set up, but use an later style pump.

Did you have to change the pump pressure at all?
Did you use aftermarket hoses, or did you find some OEM that worked?

Sorry for all the questions, but your car got me all fired up to get started on the conversion :)

Please keep us posted when your interior is done !

Rolf

dave

WOW!
I think I know what I want for my next car, I love that car! Very Nice. I think I'll start researching now....
Dave

62wagon

Rolf said:
Ronnie, yeah, you know, I want to be Toad...

Mark, interesting what you are saying about the 605. I would not mind keeping my stock set up, but use an later style pump.

Did you have to change the pump pressure at all?
Did you use aftermarket hoses, or did you find some OEM that worked?

Sorry for all the questions, but your car got me all fired up to get started on the conversion :)

Please keep us posted when your interior is done !

Rolf

Rolf - Ask all the questions you want. If I can help someone else get a project finished, I'll do all I can. I can't say for certain about the pump pressure yet as all it has done has been checked on stands and pulling forward and back in the shop. So far, the stock '62 409 pump seems to do everything I have asked for. Hoses were a bit more challenging but still not to bad. I bought the repop pieces for a '62 and modified those to better suit me and my preferences. I am a firm believer in using what a car came with. Those GM engineers are smarter than I'll ever be. Hope this helps.

Mark