58 Impala sport coupe project

Fredw

Well Known Member
Hi guys!

I would like to share with you my 58 Impala project. This project started almost ten years ago when I finally found my dream car on a list on internet.
Nowadays, the car is on assembly step, and I try to do my best to keep car in its original state and reliable to be driven in small trips. I would like to thank some people of this forum, that helped me with useful information to build this nice Chevy. The car is a Honey Beige and Anniversary Gold color scheme with a non original 348 engine and a three speed transmission, power steering, power brakes, and no others options.
Any comments, criticism, guidance and suggestions are welcome. Hope you enjoy this Chevy coming back to life after 20 years stopped on a barn and 10 years of care. :cheers

Let's start with the beginning with the picture that I found it on the internet list.

Attachments

• 39852_139912536048254_5042571_n.jpg
    39852_139912536048254_5042571_n.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 27

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice find. What happened to the Pontiac in front of it?
10yrs plus is way too long.........................

Fredw

Well Known Member
Yes, ten years is a long time, but it will worth the wait, I hope :D
Those cars belonged to a old person that passed away and his children do not liked the cars so, they sold them. I do not know what happened to other cars.
There is another car shot, when I start to disassemble it.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Good luck with your project, looks like a great start, my first car was a black 58 bel air 2 dr hardtop, wish I still had it like many others. Pat :bow

Fredw

Well Known Member
Welcome!! My first car was a black 58 348 Impala!!!! Changed my life!!!!
Wow!! I always wanted a black one!! I think the black exterior and red interior fit this car perfectly but, during the restoration process I've decided to keep its original color combination.

Fredw

Well Known Member
Good luck with your project, looks like a great start, my first car was a black 58 bel air 2 dr hardtop, wish I still had it like many others. Pat :bow
Before buying this one, my father and I tried to buy a 58 Biscayne 2 door sedan. The car was simply perfect but for its color scheme. Unfortunately, the price was too high. So, we kept searching until I decided to buy a 64 Impala SS coupe. I kept this Impala until few years ago, but due to some financial problems I had to sell it... :bang Nowadays, the 58 Biscayne belongs to a friend of mine and it is in the same pristine condition!

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Fred,
Looks like you have a very good foundation for a great ride. Welcome to an awesome site.

Gav

Fredw

Well Known Member
Thanks for the encouraging words! Here is a picture of driver's door being restored.

Attachments

• 39985_139916606047847_4614590_n.jpg
    39985_139916606047847_4614590_n.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 8

Fredw

Well Known Member
Fred, keep up the good work.

I own a 1933 Ford assembled in Argentina!!

Wow!! That's great!! I had never heard about Argentinian Fords before the Falcons of 60's. Argentine used to have some nice American cars made there as Kaiser, Rambler, Chevy Nova, Ford Falcon, Ford LTD (a version of the American Fairlane of 1966), Plymouth Valiant and Dodge Coronado (based on 1969 Dart, but with lots of modifications). In Brazil, we used to have Willys Jeep, Dodge Dart, Ford Maverick and Ford Galaxie made here. My Impala is a export model with a kilometer speedometer, checking her VIN and options list, its was made in Tarrytown, NY plant with very few options as: heavy duty clutch, heater delete, power brakes, power steering and pushbutton radio.

Fredw

Well Known Member
This is the car with all bodywork done.

Attachments

• 40984_139913089381532_5236597_n.jpg
    40984_139913089381532_5236597_n.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 6

Fredw

Well Known Member
The chassis was a difficult job. The rear end was loose, being hold in place by its lower arms and only one side of its upper arm. Lots of welding were made there to put the upper U shaped arm in the correct place. The chassis was properly aligned and all suspension work was made with brand new parts. The engine was in place to align the driveshaft. After that it will be painted with the correct paint scheme for a 348. The wheels were painted silver and the chassis was finished in a semi-flat black. Not sure if this is the correct color for the chassis, but I guess it is appropriate for this part.