'58 padded dash installation ---> adhesive?

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
I finally have this original '58 dash pad ready to install. The shop manual instructs to use weatherstrip adhesive.. The problem with that is: 1) this stuff dries too quick, and 2) the shop manual indicates applying weatherstrip adhesive in two stages - first at the front edge and secondly the lower edge. Since this is an original used dash pad, it's not as pliable as it was at the time the shop manual was published, and therefore, I can't roll back that lower edge to apply adhesive after the pad is already partially installed. Also, there is some warpage at the edge and I doubt weatherstrip adhesive will hold it down without applying pressure to it for an extended time. What about using contact cement, like DAP Weldwood?

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
I thought about a construction adhesive, but I think the biggest key here is getting those edges to adhere immediately. I have no way of clamping those edges. Maybe contact cement around the very edges and then a flexible construction adhesive?

Reactions: 327

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I thought about a construction adhesive, but I think the biggest key here is getting those edges to adhere immediately. I have no way of clamping those edges. Maybe contact cement around the very edges and then a flexible construction adhesive?
Check out liquid nails website. They have many versions of adhesive, some with "high grab" characteristics.