58 rear control arms fix

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Guys It's been a while since I posted but still watch the site.
I'm working on the frame of my 58 and from past articles and other sources see the need to beef up the frame and rear control arms, have done a little work and was wondering if there is anything I can do with the orig dif case to avoid having the brackets tear off. Aubrey is building me a 348 with some kick so I'm a little concerned about the orig set up (some of those factory welds leave a lot to be desired).
Anyway here are some pics and I would appreciate any input.
Thanks John:coffee:

Attachments

• 58 Frame Before.jpg
    58 Frame Before.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 58 Frame After.jpg
    58 Frame After.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Frame Brace.jpg
    Frame Brace.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 97

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It's me again

Read some comments about boxing in lower rear control arms and decided tobox em in but left a couple of slots to retain some flexibility. They already had a couple of small cracks in em so I figured they could use some strengthing.
Here is a pic.:)

Attachments

• Rear Lwr Control.jpg
    Rear Lwr Control.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 61

arkyduck

rear control arm fix

I installed a set of 59/64 rear lower control arms. The bigger bushings made a huge difference. They are a bolt in with no changes to the mounts. They can be found in most salvage yards. The upper control arm is another story!:dunno I'm still thinking about that one!!:scratch

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Leave with who brung ya to the dance

Hi Thanks Food for thought Gee I wonder why they made so many changes / Improvements the the rear set up in 59 and up. I'm going to use what I've got and see how well it holds up. Got a friend who is a boiler maker by trade (Excellent Welder) to go over all the welds on the dif control arm brackets and add some new welds where there wern't any and added that brace to the frame for the top mount. I don't plan on racing it, it gonna be a driver so I guess I'll see.:beerbang

Attachments

• Diff Case.jpg
    Diff Case.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 33