58 sedan delivery with windows

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You don't show the rear door, that's what tells you if it's a sedan delivery or not.
My bad, just saw the last picture. That looks like a wagon 2 piece to me, sedan deliveries have one piece lift up door.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sedan deliveries do have a one piece lift door not the 2 piece wagon type. That is how I came to this site years ago, because I bought a 58 Sedan Delivery. The picture in the article shows the green car in the one picture you can see the lift window is the wagon type with a separate tailgate, not a sedan delivery. Not trying to beat up the orig poster just pointing out what I see.

valvefloat

Well Known Member
I think this is interesting. The own of the car claims it is classified as delivery sedan by Chevrolet. The article clarifies that.

The point of the post is that this is a unique vehicle with a build that is not typical. I would agree that it is a 2 door wagon. Chevy labeled it a sedan delivery.

valvefloat

Well Known Member
Looks can be deceiving is an old adage borne out by Bill Lynch’s 1958 Chevrolet. Although the two-tone green/gray car looks like a two-door station wagon (Chevrolet model number 1191 as a V6 or 1291 as a V8) it is actually a Delray sedan delivery (Chevrolet Model Number 1171 as a V6 or 1271 as a V8).

For some reason, Chevrolet’s popular sedan delivery was taken out of the truck lineup in 1958. It was made part of the Delray series of passenger cars, but it was not considered part of the separate Chevrolet station wagon line. It came standard with the well-known “Blue Flame” in-line six-cylinder engine, but could be ordered with several 283-cid V8s or 348-cid V8s as optional equipment.

The sedan delivery was a two-door model that normally looked like a station wagon with panel sides instead of rear side windows. It carried a Delray script at the leading edge of the rear fender panel and shared Delray trim with other passenger cars in that series. Inside, there was only one vinyl-trimmed driver’s seat as standard equipment.

Lynch’s car looks like a two-door station wagon because it has two rear side windows on each side of the car. The forward one is squared off in front to mate up with the doorpost and has what looks like a backwards-slanting vent window right above the front half of the rear tire. The other window is slanted at both ends. The windows are there because the sedan delivery was special ordered by the National Park Service for use at Yellowstone National Park.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea, and the author of that article also calls the original 6 cyl engine a V6 LOL. If the rear door is not one piece it is a station wagon not a sedan delivery.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Were the rear bumpers different on the station wagons as the tail gate had to come down?
Both the above have the same bumper

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Looks can be deceiving is an old adage borne out by Bill Lynch’s 1958 Chevrolet. Although the two-tone green/gray car looks like a two-door station wagon (Chevrolet model number 1191 as a V6 or 1291 as a V8) it is actually a Delray sedan delivery (Chevrolet Model Number 1171 as a V6 or 1271 as a V8).

For some reason, Chevrolet’s popular sedan delivery was taken out of the truck lineup in 1958. It was made part of the Delray series of passenger cars, but it was not considered part of the separate Chevrolet station wagon line. It came standard with the well-known “Blue Flame” in-line six-cylinder engine, but could be ordered with several 283-cid V8s or 348-cid V8s as optional equipment.

The sedan delivery was a two-door model that normally looked like a station wagon with panel sides instead of rear side windows. It carried a Delray script at the leading edge of the rear fender panel and shared Delray trim with other passenger cars in that series. Inside, there was only one vinyl-trimmed driver’s seat as standard equipment.

Lynch’s car looks like a two-door station wagon because it has two rear side windows on each side of the car. The forward one is squared off in front to mate up with the doorpost and has what looks like a backwards-slanting vent window right above the front half of the rear tire. The other window is slanted at both ends. The windows are there because the sedan delivery was special ordered by the National Park Service for use at Yellowstone National Park.

V6?????

Steve

valvefloat

Well Known Member
I'm leaning towards a single piece rear door. Its hard to tell though. This is a zoom in of the picture from the article.

TDS-192-Photo-012.jpg