58 Turnpike Cruiser 315hp Service Specs

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Keep in mind that this engine was the first to use the heads with spark plug cooling so don't try to put those plugs in the 291 heads.:no

58TunpikeCruiser315hpSVCSpecs1.jpg

58TunpikeCruiser315hpSVCSpecs2.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
This is the first time I've heard the term "Turnpike cruiser" with a Chevy. :scratch

I thought that term was used by another make like Mercury or similar?

Please edjamacate me. :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Then you haven't been paying attention.;) I have referenced this several times in the past.

I don't know the original reasoning behind it other than marketing trying to distinguish between the "Super Turbo Thrust" 280 hp hydraulic cam engine and the 315 hp solid lifter engine since they both had the same RPO number 573. That was a confusing time for RPO's . They finally straghtened it out later by going to different RPO numbers for each version of the engine.

There was also a "Police Cruiser" engine, which I think was the marketing term used for the early 300/305 hp engine.

I recently bought a bunch of these TSB's, as I am always looking for them. It's amazing how much can be learned from them and the Chevrolet Service News. I'll be posting a few more of interest.

Bob, feel free to save any of these to your document collection on the forum.

bobs409

Administrator
Let's make Phil stand in the corner. :laugh

Thanks Cecil. They will make good additions to the site. All I have to do is find the time to actually do something with them.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Let's make Phil stand in the corner. :laugh

Thanks Cecil. They will make good additions to the site. All I have to do is find the time to actually do something with them.
Bob,
Can you create a sort of wiki- tech reference page where we can contribute documentation or links to documentation that exists elsewhere? I have posted quite a bit, but it just gets buried in the archives.:think:pop