58 wagon

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I went to a car show last night and there was a guy with a 348 1958 wagon. Car was in pretty good shape and sounded awesome. My question for you guys is, how rare is this car? It all looked stock, except he had the motor worked on. He doesn't know if the 348 came with the car, but all his research show it was a V8, but didn't degsignate a 348 or would it?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There's no way to know if the car came with a 283 or a 348 going by these numbers that are on the car.I would imagine that finding a fairly option loaded wagon with a 348 wouldn't be that hard in 58.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If the wiring harness is original, it should have a connector in the starter harness. The small block didn;t have this. Also the voltage reg should only have 2 upper screws holding it on the radiator support with a rubber bumper in the lower screw position.
There are other tell-tales but those are pretty obvious.

62BillT

Well Known Member
My first car was a '58 Wagon with a 348. All original except it was converted from a PG to a 3-Speed. Especially in the Nomad, like mine was, I believe they made a good amount of them. What body style was this one?

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Think it was a biscayne, the trim was not much, just the side trim but I notice that there were no trim in front in those three intents on the qtr. chrome around the windshield and chrome around the back side windows, that's about it. Didn't notice the gasoline, sorry. He had a one wire alternator on it, so some things have been changed.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The 3/8" fuel line had a lot of that spiral wire around it and it went out and attached to the rocker panel. 5/16 hose went along the frame I believe. Been a long time!!!

ragtp66

Well Known Member
The 348 and dual exhaust 283 cars both had the larger 3/8" fuel line that mounted on the back side of the passenger side rocker panel. 6 cyl and single exhaust 283 cars had 5/16" fuel line that ran along with the brake line down the X frame tunnel. This is the connector to the starter that was 348 ONLY. It is possible that someone COULD go through all the trouble to change the wiring harness out but it would be a lot of work that most would not go through the hassle of changing. The voltage regulator mounting would be another tell but the reality is the regulator probably got replaced a time or two during its lifetime and its hard to say if the original fasteners were used. Also are some pictures of an original 58 Voltage regulator and how it was mounted. Two screws at the top and the Rubber Grommet on the bottom.58volt.jpg58volt2.jpg

348 CONNECTOR.jpg