59 4 spd 348 t/p convertible help

Shupee

Hello all. This is my first post and I need a little info and help. Back when I was a teenager my buddies father had a 1959 348 tri power, 4 speed, red convertible. Doug and I were inseperable and we always cruised his dads 59 around. Everybody our age laughed at us and referred t us as " Batman & Robin". Dougs dad still has the car today and we went to a friends body shop that does high end quality paint/frame off work. I always told Claude and Doug that unless they were going to spend the big $$$ just leave it alone which they have. THE CAR STILL HAS ORIGINAL PAINT!!! Luckily when we were young we figured out that there weren't to many legit 4spd convertibles. After being told time and time again that there was no 4 spd in 1959, we went to Claude and he had a file folder on the car with the following: Original window sticker, bill of sale, pictures of the car when new @ Daytona with era correct sidepipes, warranty receipts, letter to Chevrolet complaining about a run in the paint on the dash etc etc.
We are going to finally have a frame off done in the near future. Claude is about 68-70 now and wants to enjoy the car. It does run and drive and he still drives every week.
My question is this??? How many 4 spd convertibles were built??? I assume it's very low but??? espescially one with these docs and the original owner?? If anyone is interested I can post pics of the car but I'm not real crazy about posting the window sticker due to the rash of clone cars being built.
any help is appreciated. thanks Ken

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Shupee, If I were Doug, I would document all of the facts on video-tape right now. Interview Dougs dad on tape with all of his facts and memories. Video all of the i.d. numbers on the car, even the paint run on the dash. Locate any and all paperwork that goes with the car. Any reciept, etc. save it all in a single folder. The dealership where he bought the car, the salesmans name, anything his dad can remember about the transaction. Any service work that can be documented with paperwork. I would not have the car painted or even any interior work done. Leave everything as is except any mechanical repairs that may need to done to keep the car in good running condition. Document any of Dougs dads friends that were witness to the history of that car. No matter how small, collect everything to do with that car now. That information will pay big dividends in the years to come. I hope Doug will always keep the car in his family because knowing the true history of an original 59 car with the original owner is priceless.

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"...vert and manual??? that's sick!" What sick??? My buddy had a '60 white on white 335 horse 4 speed with 4.11 convertible--we thought it was pretty cool!:dunno

SteveD

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
There is a red FI 4 speed 59 vert thats been around here for a long time...it was restored many years ago so I really don't know if its a legit car....pretty sure it is though...