'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well, I've decided to take the advise of some of the locals and finish my elky...I mailed a check out to jack gibbs today for the build of the new motor he's gonna build for me...while I'm waiting I intend of installing a new ring/pinion, bearings, and a posi unit...I installed a sway bar earlier this week and have replaced all the suspension and installed new power disc brakes...the interior is now complete, I'll post up pics tomorrow and keep a ongoing journal of my work in progress...once the rear end is done I'm gonna back the car into the shop so I have way more room...most of my toys are '69 and newer so I'm hopefully gonna make a seamless transition while working on this car...I asked jack to send me the specs for what he's doing as I gave him carte blanche after telling him what I was gonna be doing...he highly recommends using a 409 crank vs. the stock throw crank...he's a sharp cookie for 75 years of experience...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my intentions is to make it more reliable and give the old girl a pair of balls...I can't see making it a street brawler but I absolutely want more power...basically something I can go cruising in or just take a drive into town...changing the rear would necessitate new brakes, axles, and suspension, this car isn't going there but I appreciate the advise, if I were expecting it to launch there would be many things changed

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
You are going to like what that quarter inch of stroke will give that ol' 348. When you get the chance, try to share some details about what Jack will be doing in terms of the new power plant. We love details, and of course, pictures when applicable :).

Good luck with the build, you will certainly enjoy it!

TomK

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
when I posted I was changing gearsets I should have mentioned I'm going to 3.55, not any lower gears like the 4.10...cruising is what I desire, not hauling ass...I got toys that do that...I'm heading out to the shop for a little sorting out work, no sense beginning a project that already sits surrounded by parts of other cars...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I took a few pics of how she sits now, prior to the teardown...she's a nice ride but I'm not taking her down to a frame off restoration...I wanna drive this bucket of bolts

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 116

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm pretty sure a/c is gonna wait for a while, my budget has been blown out of the water with the new drive train...jack is supplying factory hi-po exhaust manifolds...I am trying to keep it fairly stock looking...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
63-64 manifolds? Is he going to dyno it as well? It's going,at least to me,to see the particulars on this build.It will be a sweet little engine.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
the manifolds he felt would work are the 583/584 2.5" exhaust manifolds...heads are from 409/340 hp. units with new hardware...I went on the conservative side of the camshaft world with an isky cam, hydraulic flat tappet...0.510 lift@050/0 .224...jack says it's a fine street set up that will pull nice and strong but be very streetable...rods will be I beam rods with ross custom pistons...no dyno, just broken in and tuned for a drop in installation...the kid in me wants to go full on roller motor but my old man self knows a milder motor will work better for me...it's gonna have an edelbrock intake and 650 carb...the block itself will be a 1960 348 with arp fasteners...never bought a crate motor before so this should be interesting...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
agreed, the alternator bracket was fabricated my one of the past owners...I'm wondering if they make a unit that appears to be more correct that a piece of 1" angle iron...I've done a lot of work on her in the last 12 years, now it's her turn to be my focal point...boy she gets a lot of looks with the boat anchor motor that resides under the hood...boy that's a long hood...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
after doing a little poking around mebbe I should call this car patches...she's quite the bastard...the block is a '61 and the tranny is a muncie M-20 dated 1969...probably one of the nicest muncies I have in my cars, shifting this car is like buttah...