'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
oh hell yeah, he's got 600 hours of military training under his belt...there are 2 words to turn him on...one for general attention and room clearing, the other for a final solution to the problem...he goes zero to bat shit crazy in a fraction of a second...most decoys don't like to work with him, he's a violent dog while working, a loving service dog while not...

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
after i retired i worked in the photo lab at cpd. a k9 was retiring and the handler wanted a portrait. he forgot to tell me
the k9 did not like flash bulbs or flash. i was sitting on the ground taking the photo. the dingo hit me in a flash biting my
left hand near the palm. i then stuck my hand out to the dingo and he licked the blood off. he had a red fake tooth.
he was a sweet dog when not attacking. jim. the handler got to keep the dingo after retirement.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
flash bulbs sure can fire up a dog, dutch is very stable and listens well...after the surgery he's a bit too easy to fire up, I've gotta work on calming him down...he's a service dog first and foremost but he's got mad skills and is quick to prove himself...he's the most loving K-9 I've had and by far the most violent when provoked...he doesn't just bite, he destroys what is in his grip but releases with a quick command...I've had 12 home invasions staged to prove the dogs temperment and skills, the last guy on the porch wont be coming back...:clap

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
not much to report from the sunshine state, at least from my shop...I'm using a grove alt. set up and have to move it all forward of the head 1" in order to match the pulleys I have available...I tossed a piece of round bar stock into the lathe and cut me some serious spacers...I'm assuming I can find the time to see if they work, got busy today sighting in a few lasers...I carry a suppressed pistol when I walk the dog at night and yard pigs(armadillos) are a hoot to shoot...now with a laser it'll be much easier to tag the bastages...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gav, it's a pretty long and convoluted story but 6 years ago I was seriously sick, rushed to the hospital and was cut open a few times to have my bowels sorted out...diverticulitus perforated my colon so what had holes was removed...I got terrible treatment in the hospital, no food for 19 days...got my last rights and was sent home to die...the wounded warrior foundation picked me up and carried me for years until I was as healthy as I was gonna get...I now give back to them for the love I received...part of my rebuilding was training dutch for a service dog...we got extreemly carried away as dutch was absorbing all commands almost intuitively...he blew thru the schutzhund training like it was play so we went full on protection...he's a natural so we carried the training to attack, he's a natural at that as well...were still coping with a titanium knee rebuild, 2 more weeks of least only then he's can resume his duties...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I took a hiatus from the elky to install a part I've been hunting for 3 years...finally got it, installed, and now riding my relic...completely original down to the tires and paint...

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
rob, i have had colitis since i was 15. have had diverticulitus quit a few times, but antibiotics took care
of mine. not fun. jim

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
the SS 350 did, the others only had one pipe...finding the carb brought me to holland where some guy wanted 800 for it...1 year only model is quite rare...found NIB one for 185 in Pennsylvania...got the last 2 new mufflers in existance I believe from the same guy...I've been blasting around on it, what a hoot...I've got a '73 X-90 fully restored sitting in with the elky...
had to fabricate spacers for my grove bracket for the alternator, now I need to shim the water pump pulley about 3/8" give or take...the details take more time than the big stuff as we all know...I don't see me firing up jack's motor until I return from the mountains...:dunno2

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jim, they went in with a vengeance and took out my sigmoid colon but left a hole...I was septic and got my last rights after 19 days of torture...he bastard went back in and plugged the hole but he wasn't happy so he rushed the procedure...I lost my damn belly button in the mean time...my wife died 7 months later and a year after that they found liver cancer...it's been a tough ride but I'm still kickin in the saddle...this is what I looked like 3 years ago, been hitting the gym twice weekly to see if I can change what they did to me...results have been great but a hard journey...

Attachments

• phone 053.jpg
    phone 053.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 31

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I had a 1969 ss350 years ago. That little bugger sure would snort! Bought it from the original owner for 50.00. It had the regular seat, and a real small racing style seat with it. Kept it for a year, and sold it for 50.00. Aaah, them were the days.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Holey hell Rob, you really have been put through the meat grinder literally haven't you! A strong man to come out of what you have had to go through :appl:appl:appl:appl
Dutch certainly sounds like a way wicked companion alright.

Love the bike, now get back in to the bloody 59 so that we can hear it running. :burnout

Gav

Last edited:

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
sorry rob, sounds like you got a shi** doc. lost a friend who waited to long to take care of diviticulitis and
they screwed up his surgery. died the second time on the table. something you don't mess with. best of luck jim

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Wow! way to pull through a lot of uphill battles. Hope you can still make it to Bowling Green with the elcamino would be great to meet you