'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks LA, it's been quite the ride for me this last summer...between the nerve damage and the muscle spasms life has become a challenge...I'm doing the final wire terminations and assorted stuff like starter, z bar, and a few other loose ends and hope to turn the key wednesday...gotta call jack and begin my warranty...
so, what did I miss while I was up in the mountains...how did bowling green go for us W motor guys...

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I can only speak for myself,
Let's see, I was runner up in my class at Bowling Green
I won a Hobart wire feed welder at the Meltdown Drags
Won my class at the HAMB Drags
Got a career best out of the car at The Fall Out Drags....11.33 @ 117.4. So now the car is to quick without a roll bar.
All in all it was a great year and a good ending for the saga of the Salt Shaker.

Gettin a new frying pan to see what I cook up for next year. :cigar

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

I thought this may be of enjoyment for some...

Thanks for posting 59K9 I enjoyed this immensely only trouble is I want all of them man all that new metal. I wonder if my long gone ole 59 was in this film? I guess I could walk back in the woods and look at what's left of her.:D

Mark

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
sounds like a killer summer LA, you sure did your share of drag racing...what are you gonna do now that you've broken out...roll bar time perhaps...my pleasure mark, I found that clip and thought of you guys...I'm hoping to fire up the elky tomorrow, got the wiring done and all the fluids topped off...lookin forward to having the eaton posi unit with 3.73 gears...I've got one stray wire which has an origin somewhere up under the dash...don't know how I'm gonna stuff myself under the dash to locate it, the nerve damage in my belly is off the charts...saw 2 surgeons and they both said pain management for me...not lookin forward to any of that noise...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
spent the day finishing the terminations on the elky, tried firing it and we got backfire and snorting...I need to install a diode on the battery as it has only one terminal and without it the starter may not disengage...she spins fine but wont run the way she sits...next week my buddy is coming back in town so we can fire her up...I noticed that the air cleaner I have on the engine isn't gonna clear the hood as you can see in the picture...what air cleaner are you guys running...IMG_0476.JPGIMG_0477.JPGIMG_0478.JPGIMG_0479.JPG

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
edelbrock carb and intake...standard motor mounts...I would have thought they would have at least but it appears I have a clearance issue...I'll put the hood on when I'm done under it...you can see from the fender shot the air cleaner is above the fenders...

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The way I start to check my air cleaner bases for proper height is as follows: take off the lid and filter, lay a straight edge, yard stick, angle iron, whatever on the top lip of the air cleaner base front to back. Overhang on the front needs to be out to the front of the intake where it seals the the block. I have found that the measurement should be about 9 3/4" or less. If it is not over this measurement, you should be able to use a lid up to approximately 1 1/2" give or take.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
and it will happen shortly...stands out like sore thumb...I plan on doing the final cleaning and detail when it's running and have more time to devote to it...lately I have the time but not the ability to work on my rides...I have a 427 camaro that wants a new gear reduction starter and that car is a driver so she gets one soon...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
why did I buy an engine from jack gibbs, because he's a class act and an honest fellow...I bought my engine from jack about a year ago and informed him that due to my physical limits and vacation I wouldn't fire the motor for a while...he told me the warranty began when i turned the key...today I fired the engine up and loved the lope and rumble of the cast iron manifolds...after a thorough warm up I notice a puddle below the middle of the block...my butt puckered knowing it was nothing good...apparently the block was under a lot of stress from having a freeze plug hammered in and cracked after it heated up...I called jack and we talked and he said, robert, crate the motor up and send it back with no hesitation...his first cracked block in many years...a pain in the ass but shit happens...I'm glad I did business with a class act and not some scheister...jack offered to dyno tune it at no charge for my troubles...not the way I had hoped but all will work out just fine...