'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is so the 2.5” and then buy yourself the Wilson Headers down the road and you’ll only do whole exhaust once.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I spoke to mark and the headers he makes won't fit my application due to non factory modifications...hence the question about the large pipes with the cast manifolds...any knowledge of what a factory 409/425 hp motor came with offhand...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd be driving my car if it weren't for chinese thermal switches suppiled with my american made fans...they were supposed to be in today but I'm now told it'll be tomorrow...spent part of the day tweaking the other stuff while waiting...the muncie now rows like a well oiled machine, it's slick...I've kept it up on jackstands so I can run in the new gears without a load...jack did a nice job, it fired right up, thanks jack...:salute

don, I've already got the cast exhaust manifolds, why not use them for the time being...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Can't find the beating a dead horse.....
but.....your alternator belt is SO LONG!!!!! You need a larger pulley and get the alternator adjusted closer to the valve cover and get a shorter belt.

Last edited:

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
got the exhaust on, sure did make the motor quiet...doesn't take much of the skinny pedal to light 'em up...the motor has a serious deep drone, I like it...I'm lookin at new rubber for the car and thought mebbe the new 18" wheels would look nice wrapped with nitto 555r 325/50/18 tires...I'm wantin to keep the old school look and was hoping someone here may make a suggestion...I'm burned out on chrome cragar SS wheels, I was thinking of a mag or darker wheel...any thoughts fellas...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
does anyone have an opinion on the 925/926 exhaust manifolds I see floating around...kinda pricey...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
they sure are don, 1600 for the pair...silly me, I forgot about the hp rating on my current manifolds...I got the 584 set for a mild 348...they are choking the bejesus out of this roller motor...I gotta make a change

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What exactly did they f.up that means that you can't run your headers? That little roller motor would love those.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
the power steering unit is out of a later model car and the 506 box has been adapted...in order to clear the pump/ chassis a 3/8" spacer was installed under the frame mounts...mark wilson said he needed every fraction of an inch he could get and me taking the 3/8" of space took his clearance...I really don't care for headers, rust outs just suck...