'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jim, desmond has gotten me thru projects that I had no right starting...this is the guy we all hear about, not much he can't do and is a fine gunsmith to boot...he's done things to my sig 556 that makes it the sweetest 5.56 I've ever shot...when I built my first frame he was the guy that schooled me...whoda thunk a plum bob and chalk got it square...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I may be the only guy here that doesn't know where a "downdraft or roadpipe" begins and I assume it just dumps under the engine...from my understanding, they were the pre cursor to the pcv valve...I'm sure one of you guys knows where I should install one on my 348 elky...thanks in advance

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thank you gentlemen, and I'm just assuming that as a formality, there's a vented oil cap up front and I'm assuming there's a vacuum port on the edelbrock manifold...always seemed odd dumping blow by under the car...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And can smoke a lot when sitting idling.
Show Cars sells a kit, which is what GM went to in 63.
1087.jpg

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well, got the pig pulled and torn down after checking the factory measurements...getting the axles and pinion bearings pressed tomorrow on the way home from the gym...lower gears and an eaton posi sure should help when the 348 stroker arrives...jack may be gettin old but he sure cashes checks fast:brow

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
don, after looking at your parts 1087, where does the threaded 90 degree angle screw into...

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
If I'm interpreting it correctly, that 90 degree plug goes in place of the road draft tube in the back of the intake manifold. Then you just port the tubing connector into the back of the carb.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that was my thought but I don't recall seeing anything that large back there...didn't really look for it but I will now...these motors are still somewhat new to me...I have a 3512 big block sitting next to my workbench and my buddy was trying to get me to install that...nope, I got the bug

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jack is building the stroker motor and plans to use the edelbrock intake and carb along with factory hi performance flowed factory heads and 2.5 dump exhaust factory manifolds...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
don, after looking at your parts 1087, where does the threaded 90 degree angle screw into...
There is a hole next to the distributor hole in the intake, this is a pic of one on a 283 that was invaded by mice (optional dog biscuits inside intake). You can see the oil sender there too and the rubber intake end seal that had pushed out..
The road draft tube screwed into this hole or there was an accessory PCV setup available on a 62 and this 283 had that.
IMG_1222.JPG