'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
flexplate, I'm using a 4 speed, flywheels here...I've never looked at it except to check the condition of the ring gear but it's most likely a 164 or 168 tooth ring gear...guess I should check both that and the pinion...thanks for the link, that's pretty cheap for a starter

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
dunno what just happened...I spent the morning sanding the interior of the engine bay with the third coat of the same paint...within 5 minutes it appears that the paint is crazing...it's breaking down the previous coats...I'm hoping a light sand and another respray will solve the problem...never in my 35 years painting have I seen this...mebbe a good day for hockey

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think James is right again. After many adventures, I now read the can for the recoat instructions also. A lot of that stuff, if you don't get back to it within an hour, you have to wait a day or so. Even then, stuff happens sometimes.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Since you used osopho which they say leave 'sa waxy film ,if you do not thouroughly clean and remove with mineral spirits ,primer will not adhere properly. This was a review I read on osopho. I also read on rattle can rust oleum that you can recoat within two hours. After that you have to wait 48 hours before recoat.I have not ever had a recoat problem with rattle can paint if base is good.I would say the osopho caused the problem.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
wrinkle paint 'eh...:rubafter what I did I'll own that one for today...I'm thinking it was the recoat sensitivity timing that caused the issue...it only happened on the passenger fender...sanded with 320 and resprayed and it came out fine...don't think it was the ospho as I wiped down the metal with prepsol prior to painting...engine is close to being ready for an install but I have to wait another week or three for A-1 wiring to fabricccate my harnesses...I'm concerned about the hood clearance, looks kinda tall for a flat hoodIMG_0375.JPGIMG_0378.JPG

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
[QUOTEI'm concerned about the hood clearance, looks kinda tall for a flat hood

Pizza trays make nice lids and there flat.:D