'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I went out to lock up my shop and was poking around thinking about the clearance issue...I had to install a spacer on the carb neck to lift the air cleaner to clear my fuel bowl and choke...I may end up getting creative and notch the bottom of the air cleaner base and form tin to cover the notches I cut...if it was easy everyone would be building hot rods...it only takes a few episodes on tv right...:rub

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
great idea, it's in the memory files which ain't saying much on my side...that hump in the stock cover thoreticaly is for air flow but I don't see a terrible sacrifice...I've had that dual snorkel aircleaner since super chevy in moroso back in 86 I believe...I guess this is the car I'm building for an cleaner...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just got off the phone with bruce with showcars,very helpful and nice to chat with...bastard, he took all my lunch money and money to support the working moms in town...you know, strippers...bought a ton of small parts from him...clutch and pressure plate from jegs...decided on a powermaster starter vs. an import...changing a starter on the road is worth more than the difference in price...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've been doing the math and it may be necessary to use a donor hood with a cowl induction style profile...there's no modifying the air cleaner without chopping into the filter...I wonder how difficult it would be to find a donor hood...

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I’d try it first. It might surprise you. Don’t think Jack would build you something that wouldn’t fit and not tell you about the possibility. Just my thoughts.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
no doubt I will fit it before slamming the hood, I just can't see how it's gonna make it...as for jack, one of the most stand up guys out on the streets...he upgraded both my carb and distributor for me and said don't worry about it...his guidance on my questions is just a call away...I really appreciate you guys turning me on to jack...:bow

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 409 with AFB and stock cast iron intake (340HP) fit fine under my 59 hood with stock chrome 63 air cleaner. I had a 1/2 inch spacer too. Your intake may be a bit taller and no idea how much space I had left.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
don, the edelbrock intake appears to be about 2" taller than the stock 4 barrel cast iron intake...to fit a depressed bottom air cleaner I had to use a 1" spacer between the carb and the cleaner for elevation...only 1 way to tell...

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Slam the hood :dunno2
How about a Qjet base from a Cadillac out of the 70s.
It would be a large round base that could modified to your liking.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've been spending too much time thinking about what may be or may not be an issue...I'm gonna continue(as soon as I receive my wiring harnesses)dealing with this after the install happens...once the tape measure is pulled out the picture will be evident...I'm somewhat at a standstill until A-1 makes and ships me some wire...2.5 weeks seems a little long

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can't access the lower wiring harness with the motor in the rails...a broke back gives me limitations...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
bulkhead harness...one of them is located low and behind the engine...I didn't know it was there until I pulled the motor...just got the clutch and pressure plate kit...waiting on wires...I'm in no rush, it's not like I don't have a mile of chores staring at me...

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Engine coming along nicely by the looks of things Rob and you'll be anxious to get it in once you get it home.
Look forward to seeing it in.

You Certainly have a really nice looking Shepard there and I can vouch for how great a companion they are as the boy i have Khan, is now 14 and really starting to slow up now and is on arthritis meds to help him get around.

View attachment 60174

Gav
Regret to report that I lost my companion this week. Been a real hard few days and very lonely. Was always there to greet me when i got home even as things got tougher for him - RIP my friend.

Gav