'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

Junky

Well Known Member
I painted mine with Bill Hirsch cast iron gray paint, and it looks as good today as when I did it 4 years ago. The trick is to make sure that the casting is clean and oil free. I washed mine down with brake cleaner, and then brushed on the paint. It flowed out to a smooth brushless finish. Looks just like fresh cast iron. I used his engine enamel, chassis paint, miracle paint, and high temp paint, and found them to be the best that you can buy. More expensive than the box store paints, but these work.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
agreed junky, I've used hirsch products on a dozen camaros I've restored in the past...I'm really digging the 59 elky I'm knee deep in...pulling the motor in a few minutes...the back should be in working order, we'll find out shortly...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm currently working on my L-89 '69 camaro and have gotten tired of the muncie shifter being so sloppy...I ordered a hurst competition plus shifter and 2 sets of steel bushings for this and the elky...the damn shifter cost almost 400 bucks...that's way more than the last one I bought...the guy said when B&M transmission bought out hurst they nearly doubled the price...glad I has an extra set of linkage...that's 200 bucks for rods...the muncie shifter stays with the car...:brow

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well, I finally got a phone call from jack gibbs about the cracked block I returned to him...after a long conversation, jack offered to ship me a 409 block with the parts that came out of the 348 stroker motor but with this build he has to order new pistons which he's doing at no charge...we talked about how I plan on using the car and mentioned I would be much happier with a roller cam so he's gonna install one with the appropriate hardware...the only increase in price will be what the new cam costs vs. the price of the old cam which will be credited...tell me, how do you find a better guy to honor a warranty and do what he said he would...yeah, I'm not happy with having to install, pull, and reinstall a motor but dealing with such an honest guy like jack doesn't happen often...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
An upgrade from the JV to the Varsity! Jack is "top shelf" isn't he? Been doing it since way back when.

Glad to learn, at no surprise, that he is in the process of repopulating your garage :).

Hmmm, I wonder if Jack now has some slightly used 348 pistons and rods...

TomK

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
tom, my 348 was a stroker with a 409 crank and BBC 7/16" rods so they are staying with the motor but I know he's shelving the pistons...my new concern is will my 2.5" cast iron headers work well with this motor or should I use headers...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I drove over 12,000 miles with my 1962 SS car, had a 460 CI stroker 409 and stock 2.5" cast iron manifolds leading to a pair of mufflers and then a pair of resonators, sounded good but as Don notes it was quite restricted in terms of performance. That's the bottom end that is now in the BA409 car doing mid 11's at 115 MPH. Those open Wilson headers really make it sound better than those four mufflers :).

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had thoughts of keeping the stock look but at this point it doesn't make much sense...the only mod that has been made from stock in regards to header clearance is this car was fitted with a non factory 605 steering gear and a later model(69) pump...I can't see that interfering with the install...do wilson headers require the motor to be lifted from the frame and do they come powder coated...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a gear reduction starter, mebbe it will slide in...tomorrow is gonna be the coldest day of the year so far and here I am planning on installing the hurst shifter and linkage outdoors while a few feet away is a heated shop...:dunno2

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You leave the starter off, then install the header with the bolts loose, then install the starter and tighten up the header last.
If your fuel line is on the inside of the frame, you will want to move it up on top.
Best fittin headers I have ever installed. :good