'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
so this weekend I tear out the ancient hurst shifter and linkage out of my L-89 to replace it with a new tight one...got it installed and took it for a drive for about 50 miles...drove and shifted like new...I get home to adjust the stops and back out both forward and rear stops...now after just backing off the stops I can barely get into 2nd and 4th and reverse is locked out...I don't understand how backing out the stops messed up the linkage...:dunno2

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
well, you can't powershift a muncie without stops...there were no hard shifts in the 50 miles, the purpose of the drive was to loosen up the mechanism so I could adjust the stops...

If you don't have your stops adjusted you'll tear out your synchro's 59K9, have you adjusted the neutral gate on your shifter?

Mark

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
sure did, prior to taking the drive...all was well before I began adjusting the stops...it's just too weird...

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
sure did, prior to taking the drive...all was well before I began adjusting the stops...it's just too weird...

Are you sure you didn't get turned around 59K9 and were really adjusting the muffler bearing? If this falls out of adjustment it can lead to problems.:drive

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hell mark, that may be the problem...can you tell me how to adjust it and where it's located...

Let me consult my Funk & Wagnalls and I'll get back with you on the bearing specs. 59 but I think its safe to assume its on the muffler. When's the last time you checked your Henweigh?:D

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I check my hen weights every time I go out and gather eggs...:brow

I'll never forget the first time I heard this. I was about 18 and we stopped at a lounge for lunch and I'm sitting there eyeballing a for sale note stuck to the mirror behind the bar it said for sale 61 Henweigh enquire within so as were eating our lunch it finally got the best of me because I'm kinda nosey so I had to ask and then I found out the awful truth about how much a hen weighs it made the barkeeps day.:D

Mark

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I spent the day rodding out a finished painted gas tank for a 42 farmall M tractor today...those of you who have done so with a regular tank can understand the difficulty I had with show paint on a 20 gallon 12 gauge steel tank...it's the heaviest tank I have ever worked on and keeping the acid off the paint was a chore...i added a pound of drywall screws with the acid to remove the rust while shaking and rotating the tank...my back will be screaming at me for the next week...I also got 400' of pipe to wire the shop for the floor lift and new compressor...that gets installed in the upcoming week...finally got my scissor lift back from the shop, that's gonna make wiring a dream...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
spent most of the day running conduit for power supply in my new shop..'wired up the new compressor and it runs fine, much quieter than the 2 stage emglo I bought 30 years ago...gonna go out and lay out the air supply fitting...have any of you guys seen the blue poly hose and fitting they now sell for air supply...eastwood and northern tool sells it...I bought a kit to check it out instead of running copper pipe as I always have in the past...spoke to jack last week, my 409 will be here this month...:winnerthe elky is getting filthy just sitting there...she gets her new home when the build is done...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
motor has made it out of dyno into a motor crate and delivered to the terminal...woohoo...do any of you guys know if wilson makes tubes for elkys...any recomendation on the pipes...409 has dyno'd out at 428 hp and 463 ft/lb torque and I'd like to put headers on it to pick up a few ponies...any thoughts on tube diameter/length...short or long collector...jack wung it up to 6000 rpm and she lived to tell about it...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I sent you pictures of a set of Wilson 2" headers I just bought for my 62 SS 409 Hardtop from Mark Wilson at Wilson Headers in New Mexico. My headers are at Jet Hot in Oklahoma to be jet coated( Only about 2 weeks for Jet Hot and I will get them from them. Mark had the 2" headers in stock. He provided pictures to me.
Many members here are using his headers. He is very helpful, I would give him a call. I have his number some place or someone here I sure has it.
Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I spoke to mark a few minutes ago, I'm concerned about the 2 collectors as I won't be uncorking the exhaust on this car