'59 el camino gets a new lease on life...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
no don, it's out of the crate and on a stand waiting until tuesday when my buddy has the time to give me a hand...found out a long time ago that engine pulls are far easier when you have 4 hands...the back is barking but the desire is pretty strong...426hp and 468ft/lb torque...not too shabby for a single 4 barrel...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
ok, i'm bored so here's a pic of the orange motor and it's soon to be home...yup, painted the master cylinder...check out the dirt on the tailfin, talk about a long time in hibernation...IMG_0661.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 48

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I need to keep the alternator running at the correct speed phil, I'm running 2 spal fans that draw 40 amps each when cooling so I used a larger alternator that I originally had...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
got the engine in and it runs like a top, a very stout top at that...seems I have 2 bad temp sending switches to turn on and off my electric fans for cooling...the engine with get to 210 and no fans...they are set at 185 and 195...checked all the wiring and everything seems fine but no fans...I connected the positive terminal of the unit to the shell and the fans came right on...the come on when hot wired so I am assuming the only weak link is non functioning switches...done for the day, time to relax my mind and watch a little nascar...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks don, a little late but thanks anyway...got the underhood done but no fans...I've eliminated all components so the fault is in the thermal switches that actuate the fans...cheap chinese crap broken when I took them out...here's a nifty item, a 100 amp circuit breaker...I ran a 4 gauge copper wire to my alternator so I figured a breaker may just save me if there's a short...IMG_0684.JPG

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a question for you guys...I'm using the 2.5" factory manifolds for the time being and my thoughts were to use 2.5" pipes all the way back...the muffler shop guy swears I'll be better off with 2" pipes...any thoughts...I'm pretty sure I'll have custom headers made by one of my buddies down the road...