59 Impala / Tremec 5-speed

woodeye

My 59 Impala currently is a 348 / 4-speed car. I am wanting to change it over to the Tremec 5-speed. Has anyone on this site done this conversion and what modifications were necessary other than the drive shaft? I want to keep the same location where the shifter is now and will be using the skinny shifter handle as well. Did you run into room issues in the tunnel area? Thanks in advance for any help.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry, can't answer your question but if that's an original 4 spd car I would leave it alone.

woodeye

58, It is a pretty faithful recreation but it is not an original numbers matching correct car. The 3000 plus RPM at Highway speeds is driving me nuts as well as gas consumption in the range of 10/11 mpg.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Woodeye,

Welcome to the site !! Someone here has done that modification and will be able to give you the whole story and pictures I'm sure. I can't say 100% for sure, but I believe the Temec will require modifications to both the floor and shifter location. I've been looking at the Keisler 5 Speed which according to the propaganda does not require these modifications. Keisler 5 Speed Link

Bill

woodeye

Woodeye,

Welcome to the site !! Someone here has done that modification and will be able to give you the whole story and pictures I'm sure. I can't say 100% for sure, but I believe the Temec will require modifications to both the floor and shifter location. I've been looking at the Keisler 5 Speed which according to the propaganda does not require these modifications. Keisler 5 Speed Link

Bill

woodeye

Nuts,
Thank you for the Welcome. Been lurking for awhile. Hurst-Driveline has an off-set shifter option that will or appears to be able to move the shifter to the left of center. The floor is my biggest concern. Take care and be safe, Bob

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Tremec was to, or has come out with a 5-6 speed trans.that I believe fits under the original floor pan,and Hurst drive line or McLeod slik stick shifters have multiple shifter positions to get it where you want it.the bulkier TKO required trans tunnel modification.

woodeye

Thank you for this info. This will give me something to question and pursue with the Hurst folks as I go forward. Take care and be safe, Bob

woodeye

jim_ss409, Thank you for your input and the photos. The link is helpful too. I will check and see if there is something new to the market that comes in a smaller package and report back on what I find. Take care and be safe, Bob

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
What is the story on the McLeod and the Keisler transmissions? Seems like they both have/had production problems. Now I see that Keisler is selling the Legend trans, does anyone have any experience with that one???