'60 brake help.....

SycloneJoe

Where do you guys go to find brake parts for your old Impalas/Bel Airs? I've been trying to buy a front brake hardware kit and I'm having problems finding one. I've found everything else to rebuild the brakes. Please help.

Also...have any of you guys converted to power brakes? I dont think I want to spend the mone to go discs but power brakes would be nice.

60biscayne

Supporting Member 1
60' Brake Parts

Last summer I HAD to go through all the wheel cylinders, shoes, etc., on my 60', which had sat for years. Advanced Auto got me everything I needed in one day!! You can go on their website, and it'll even show you pics of the parts, so you know you are getting the right ones. I was impressed. Prices were reasonable, also. If I remember correctly, I think they were mostly US made parts, too. BB.:brow

SycloneJoe

60biscayne said:
Last summer I HAD to go through all the wheel cylinders, shoes, etc., on my 60', which had sat for years. Advanced Auto got me everything I needed in one day!! You can go on their website, and it'll even show you pics of the parts, so you know you are getting the right ones. I was impressed. Prices were reasonable, also. If I remember correctly, I think they were mostly US made parts, too. BB.:brow

Thanks for the tip. I usually go to Advanced Auto last. The Advanced Auto here has the dumbest employees I've ever seen. :grumble: Next time I'll check their website.

I finally got everything ordered. Most of the parts came from NAPA and Auto Zone. Now we'll just see if all the parts are right. Brakes are next weekend's project.:D

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
Joe,
I recently replaced wheel cyls and hoses on my 61.
Got all parts at Autozone. Mexican parts that I had to modify the wheel cyl to fit.
Corners were squared off and needed to be rounded to fit. Other than that no problems.
Pat

SycloneJoe

impalaragpat said:
Joe,
I recently replaced wheel cyls and hoses on my 61.
Got all parts at Autozone. Mexican parts that I had to modify the wheel cyl to fit.
Corners were squared off and needed to be rounded to fit. Other than that no problems.
Pat

These wheel cyls came from Auto Zone. They look just like the ones I bought for my '63 truck a few months ago. I'll let you guys know how they work.

60 biscayne

SycloneJoe said:
Where do you guys go to find brake parts for your old Impalas/Bel Airs? I've been trying to buy a front brake hardware kit and I'm having problems finding one. I've found everything else to rebuild the brakes. Please help.

Also...have any of you guys converted to power brakes? I dont think I want to spend the mone to go discs but power brakes would be nice.

hello we have about 117 chevy's from 1948 to 1962 we have a factory power brake set up for a 60 and just about anything you can think of. we drive a 59 chevy a 60 chevy 62 chevy belair bubble top 409 2x4 a 48 chevy street rod a 53 chevy just to name a few. we have alot junked out we have had for year's we sell part's sometime's my number is 276 835 9250 ask for ronnie if u ever need anything we might have it.