'60 Chevrolet Impala HT

Impala60

Well Known Member
I have gathered together most of the history about this car now, so I'm going to post this project thread in here. A while ago when I joined, I introduced myself but I think I should say it again that I'm an 18 year old guy from Finland who has been building cars with my dad for a pretty long time & last summer I finished 6th on Finnish Championship Drag Racing Series in Stock / Super Stock with a '74 Chevelle.

This car arrived to Finland from Palestine Texas in the autumn of 1988. In Texas a couple of my dad's friends rebuilt the car before shipping it, and my dad bought it very soon after it arrived here. Here are pics before rebuilding in Texas:

DSCN1333.JPG

DSCN1330.JPG

DSCN1334.JPG

The car had a Matching Numbers 283 SBC and a PowerGlide trans when it arrived in Finland. It had Slot Mags and rear tires had been in many burnouts and there was no tire tread left. My dad said that they were extremely slippery especially in the rain, but anyway he drove with them until the winter came.

DSCN1346.JPG

DSCN1343.JPG

DSCN1366.JPG

During the winter, dad shot some new paint here and there, installed new brakes and did lots of cleanup and that kind of little work. New front seat upholstery was ordered from Late Great Chevys and he fabricated new door panels with his grandmother. Backseat has original upholstery in a very good shape. New wheels and tires were also installed.

A year or two later my dad did an engine swap and then the car had a powerful 327 SBC and cast iron PG transmission was changed to aluminum one, where my dad built a home made shift kit with his friend. They also converted the trans so that it functioned manually only. Anyway, the shift kit was so wild that transmission hub did not handle shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Later the trans was modified back to original.

DSCN1372.JPG

DSCN3261.JPG

That 327 engine was swapped back to that Matching Numbers 283 in the early 1990s. Engine was rebuilt back then and the car was overall modified pretty much back to original except for the wheels and tires that were from Buick.

DSCN1276.JPG

DSCN1281.JPG

In the mid to late 1990s the car was not used as actively as earlier. One reason for that was that I was born in 1996. The car was driven every year, but not as much as before. Then after 2000 as I was a bit older the car was used very actively again.

These pics with original wheels and hubcaps are from 2000 or something like that. Very soon after putting those hubcaps on, one of them came off on the highway and an 18 wheeler truck smashed it.:bat After that the hubcaps were removed.

DSCN1415.JPG

Etuviistosta.jpg

Meren%20rannalla%202007.JPG

In the spring of 2009 when the car was driven to annual tech inspection, the inspector told that next year he could not let us through that inspection, because the car had had a rust issue on co-driver's side since when it came to Finland. We thought it does not matter driving the car (And it definitely doesn't), but anyway in the autumn of 2009 we drove the car to a garage at our summer cottage. We were building a '79 Buick Skyhawk at that time and it was getting close to finish, so next summer we were going to drive around with that. After the Buick was sold in 2012, we bought the Stock Eliminator Chevelle and rebuilt that thing completely. This Impala ended up sitting in that garage five years, until in the autumn of 2014 when we brought it back home as my 18th birthday was coming in December and it meant my driver's license too. My dad told me that I could restore this car back to its glory and drive it on the summertime. I said OK because I've always thought the cars from this era are very beautiful and this particular car has a neat history too.

So in October 2014 we put a trailer on back of my '87 Chevy Van (Daily driver) and headed to our summer cottage to pick up this beauty.

I will continue the story and the actual building process really soon. I think it's bed time now (12:07 AM here). Thanks for looking everyone!

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
nice 60, are my eyes that bad? couple of photos the wheels look like they are not seated. jim

Impala60

Well Known Member
Wow, Thank You all for your support!

Flathead Racing: That's great to hear - now I know what direction I will send my question when I'm in trouble with this. My dad knows pretty much about these too, but of course he can't know and / or remember everything. ;)

jdk971: There's nothing wrong with your eyes, the wheels do look a bit odd in a couple of pictures. It's because I took photos of those original pictures that are on paper and those papers were a bit bent on a couple of spots. :D

k9hotrodder409: You're right, a W-Engine would be a dream come true under the hood of this car. Hopefully some day it will happen, not that soon though, as a high school student I can't afford on anything that expensive. Your '60 looks very good too!

bobs409: Yep, I think this is the best looking Impala and '59 is really fine too. I also wish this kind of cars were still produced...

Thanks again everyone for the kind words & support. All comments are highly appreciated.

Let's continue the story a little.

So in October 2014 we headed to our summer cottage with the Chevy Van and a trailer. There was no idea if Impala was driveable or not, but we both hoped it would be, because there was no way that trailer could fit on our summer cottage yard and we had to leave it to a place where it could stay overnight.

On Saturday morning I opened the garage doors and there it was, just like it was left in 2009 front end up in the air, rear tires on ground (Because there was not enough room to jack up the rear).

DSCN0066.JPG

DSCN0069.JPG

I jumped in to the car to steer, my dad and my grandfather went to the back and they tried to push it out of the garage. It didn't move at all though, and I discovered that driver's side rear tire was flat. The best thing would have been to fill up that tire, but there wasn't enough space to get the compressor close enough so we had to pull the car out using the Van.

DSCN0077.JPG

I filled the rear tire and the air stayed inside. Not a big leak then, but one white wall got destroyed anyway. :(

DSCN0078.JPG

DSCN0079.JPG

DSCN0081.JPG

DSCN0082.JPG

DSCN0084.JPG

I changed the spark plugs & sprayed some oil to cylinders for lubrication. After installing a new battery, I went inside and carefully tested what happens when I turn on the ignition. And it looked like the engine was turning really nicely, so next thing was to put some gasoline to carburetor and try to fire it up. After trying to start it for a while with no luck, I took a look of the spark plugs and they were completely dry. Carburetor looked like there had been no gas going through except the little amount that was put straight to the carb. I blew some air to the gas tank with compressor and that air forced the gas to go to the carb. After this, the car fired up quite easily and the engine ran really well.

See the smoke coming from the exhaust...First start after 5 years! :dance1

DSCN0110.JPG

I added a bit oil to the trans and moved the car a little. It ran really nicely and brakes and everything were working fine (except lights didn't work). I removed wax on the chrome trim as well and then the car looked like this.

DSCN0121.JPG

DSCN0122.JPG

On Sunday I drove the Impala to the place where the trailer was and we loaded it on the trailer & drove home. I bet our neighbors were "happy" when they saw that a new toy was coming:teehee.

DSCN0135.JPG

I'll continue the story soon... Now it's bed time again (1 AM here).

Impala60

Well Known Member
I already knew it when we were bringing the car home that there would be some rust repairs needed. So the first thing after driving the car inside to a garage was to start repairing those rust areas. This is how the co-driver's side looked:

DSCN0157.JPG

DSCN0159.JPG

DSCN0158.JPG

So the bottom part of rocker panel was missing completely and the whole fender opening didn't look very healthy. So I had to see what happens when I try to pull carefully from the front corner of that fender opening....

DSCN0171.JPG

DSCN0173.JPG

DSCN0174.JPG

That original sheet metal was in pretty bad shape (A little crash in the States, maybe...?) and someone had repaired that by adding some new material on place using screws to attach two pieces of metal together... And everything was covered in thick coat of Bondo.

DSCN0176.JPG

After seeing this, it was completely clear that a replacement quarter panel was needed. So a local parts store called US Parts did good job with importing this thing to Finland.

DSCN1454.JPG

Then I thought I should look at driver's side as well and hope that rust damage would be much smaller there. After cracking a bit of Bondo away, it looked like someone had repaired rust spots by filling them with Bondo and smoothing out everything. Of course now it would have been "a must" to order replacement quarter panels for this side as well, but as a high school student that's driving an '87 Chevy Van as my daily driver, I didn't have the money to do that. So unfortunately I was forced to do that same repair, so I took my Bondo out and started smoothing everything out. This will give me a couple of years time before I will order replacement quarter panels for that side, too.

DSCN1628.JPG

DSCN1630.JPG

DSCN1632.JPG

DSCN1635.JPG

DSCN1642.JPG

Now this side is really close to the first coat of Primer, but looks like I have forgot to take some pics of that progress. Anyway I will continue posting the progress with that co-driver's side soon...Stay tuned.

Impala60

Well Known Member
Thank you, Joe!

The next job was to remove lower side trims from co-driver's side. Those side trims came off easily, but removing that chrome emblem in front of those chrome trims was a bit tricky. Interior side panel and part of the backseat came out easily, but that metal lid that leads into the bolts of that emblem was not so easy to remove. Someone had used somekind of white stuff to seal it on place and I can tell you that the stuff (whatever it was) was really hard. I got it apart one piece, though.

DSCN1451.JPG

The emblem came off very easily.

DSCN1448.JPG

Then I wanted to see how big area on co-driver's side needed repairing. I sanded the paint and Bondo away with a motor tool and it looked like someone had installed a new piece of metal on top of the original one (That was in a bad shape) using metal screws and a very thick coat of Bondo. And the damage was quite large...

DSCN1921.JPG

DSCN1924.JPG

Next I cut the worst part of that body panel away to see how inner body looked like. Well, as you can see it in the pics, some new sheet metal was needed in there as well, but luckily it wasn't as bad as the outer body panel.

DSCN1928.JPG

DSCN1929.JPG

So I added some fresh metal on there, too.

DSCN2083.JPG

On the picture below, you can see that I welded another fresh piece of metal on place as well in front of the one pictured above. Then I painted everything with grey anti-rust Primer.

DSCN2319.JPG

I had to add some new metal on inner fender, too.

DSCN2337.JPG

Then the next thing was to cut that replacement quarter panel a bit smaller...:fear2

DSCN2339.JPG

It turned out okay, but I don't know why I cut it in the shape that I did. So after taking this picture, I modified it just a little...

DSCN2342.JPG

Then I cut extra material off from the body using that replacement part that I had just cut into size as a quide. More grey Primer was added to the inner fender and backside of that replacement panel was also painted with that same stuff to prevent from rusting.

DSCN2731.JPG

DSCN2734.JPG

After this, my replacement quarterpanel fit perfectly on place. So I welded it there and now the whole seam is hidden by welding, so after that is smoothed out I believe I don't need any lead, only minor Bondo to smooth everything out, but luckily no thick coats are needed in here.

DSCN2751.JPG

DSCN2748.JPG

This is where I am at right now. I will post more pics as I go.

Impala60

Well Known Member
Yesterday I filled those two holes that were still remaining on co-driver's side. One in front of that replacement quarter panel and one right behind it. Making them wasn't too easy because there is a minor difference in the shape of that replacement quarter panel and original body. It's not major difference but it made tricky to do correct bends on correct spots to those self made pieces. I got them done and welded them on place, though and today it was time to smooth out those welding seams with an angle grinder. I bet neighbors were happy to hear the sound of that machine for the whole evening :haha! Now next thing will be using Bondo where needed.

DSCN2904.JPG

DSCN2923.JPG

DSCN2921.JPG

DSCN2927.JPG

As seen on that last picture, the bottom of the rocker panel already was painted with anti-rust Primer.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Wow you do have your work cut out for you(no pun intended) .You can alway"s go back as you say and redo later when you are more able to with more buck"s .Some time"s you can enjoy it just fixing here and there and driving as is.

Last edited:

Impala60

Well Known Member
Thanks guys for the support!

Yep one of the main goals for this project is to get it running when the "driving season" starts and then more work on it will be done later when time & money allows. :weld

I'm so happy to work on an X-Frame Chevy like this. And it makes me happy to see how it's coming together and that I have actually made it better than it was a few months ago even if there's pretty much work behind (or probably just because of that!). It's always nice to see a restoration or buildup in progress, and that's why I like spending much time here on this forum and especially on this Member Builds & Projects section.;)