605 power steering gear box

Ls5bigblock

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi I am looking for a power steering gear box 605 that will fit a 1962 Belair. If any one can help that would be great.
I ordered one from Ecklers in November still on back order.
Thank you for your help in advanced. Tony.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You can get a 605 steering box from Rock Auto or most any auto parts store. Just need to now the original application. Then there are probably several restoration parts suppliers with the needed adaptor plate.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you want 605 box and adaptor plate I would suggest not bothering with ecklers
AutoCity Classic use to do a nice plate check with them
Many now use the cpp 500 box for the Impala-much better then the 605

Ls5bigblock

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I forgot to mention that I have a big block radiator. Will there be a clearance issue.
Thanks again

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I've got a 409 in a 59 el camino and use a 605 gear box sold by red head steering gears...1 877 609 7909...works fine
How did sway bar work out for you Rob ........????...... is it a canyon carving machine .....????

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I forgot to mention that I have a big block radiator. Will there be a clearance issue.
Thanks again

I just measured the new 500 series box from CCP for 348/409 Chevy and it would fit my 4 core radiators in 1 of my 409s and my 62 327 that has a 4 core 409 radiator. I will look up the measurement to the front of the 500 series box -that they did for me from the factory upper bolt mount to the frame.
My Griffin 409 radiator in my 2nd 409 is closer to my steering box -I think the bottom of the radiator support needs to move out to the front of the car.
I am going to purchase one and try it. I believe CCP changed the 500 series box and mounting "recently" and now it will fit.
Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How did sway bar work out for you Rob ........????...... is it a canyon carving machine .....????
I've been remodeling my office warehouse for the last month Keith, done nothing but drive the cars when a opportunity arises...all I've done is install a neat bluetooth speaker system...:salutemy shop has gotten quite dusty and me quite worn out...:dunno

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Remember all the trouble I went through trying to get the power steering on my 61 with the big block? I finally ended up with a CPP box but there was no room for the pump. I had to get an Alan Grove mount for a 68 Chevelle and a pump cap that didn't have ears just to have room to open and close it. I wound up with close to $1,000 in the set up just to get to where it looks like it belongs there.