61/62 Column to dash seal

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I've installed my column and seem to remember a 10in. or so long seal between the column and dash which I cannot find (if it ever existed). Show-Cars is the only place that lists such an animal but they show 2 pieces 2.75 in. long. What's right? Looking through the albums it's hard to even tell if the cars have them installed....

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Are you talking about the gap between the dash and column cover? Our '61 did not have a seal in that spot when I took it apart. There may have been a seal at one time but I didn't see any evidence of one being there so I plan on reinstalling the column without a seal. Our car is a Bel Air in case that matters....

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
There should be a seal there, single rubber seal probably about 10 inches long.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well, thats the thing. I took mine apart nearly 2 years ago. I had myself convinced there was one there but could not locate it. I had a member tell me that you could make the 1960 rubber work. Show-cars actually lists a part for that area. It lists it as 2" long and the picture shows two pieces. My concern is having the two pieces scratching one another as well as appearance because the dash side has an unfinished edge.