61 Back from paint

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got my 61 back from 3rd paint job today, this time I'm very, very, very happy. Now if I can find all the parts I should have it ready for go or show in a couple of months. 2 year frame off 409 with tri pwr, Vintage A/C, Muncie 4 speed, 500 box steering, Cars Interior, clone SS package etc.
:):deal

Attachments

• 61 Impala 110.jpg
    61 Impala 110.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 61 Impala 112.jpg
    61 Impala 112.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 122
  • 61 Impala 115.jpg
    61 Impala 115.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 61 Impala 113.jpg
    61 Impala 113.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 99

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looking good!

Boy that must be exciting to get to this point! This is my favorite part of the restoration, when you get her back from paint, then you begin to slowly make it a car again :).

Gee, my '61 Belair looks just like that except that it's missing the pans, the doors aren't hung, it's in primer/sealer...... :) :) :). In other words, I am about 409 hours away from being at this stage :).

Thanks for the pics, have fun finding all those parts you removed, cleaned, painted or polished, bagged and cataloged!

Cheers,
TomK

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I forgot the part about bagging and cataloging, so it may take me a little longer than 409 hours. Larry

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, I had Bobby Anderson do the paint, he normally does one high end custom car a year. He is a friend and I caught him between projects , he was able to paint mine in about 6 weeks. He started a '34 today and I know he is booked for the next couple of years. Call me when you get a chance I want to talk to you about a Plane/train/automobile show at Falcon Field. Larry

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Car looks good!:beerbang
I agree with Tom, this is the best part of the restoration.:beerbang
You really should have taken the time to bag the parts while you were taking it apart though.:nono1::D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
3rd time?

Larry:

You mentioned that this was the third time around. What was the deal with the first two? Were they a long time ago, or was it while this one was apart?

It's soooo long between the time I dismantle and the time I reassemble that if I don't take pictures and don't keep the parts organized, I'll never figure it all out :). Plus there are those zillions of times I get started cleaning or polishing a piece, then get interrupted and have to get back to it. If I don't bag and tag the clips on a piece of trim, for example, after I finish polishing the trim I have to "reunite" them on the shelf so I know where everything is. Maybe it's me....

have fun putting her back together. Every time you add something (that doesn't have to be removed) you get closer to the prize :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom, the 1st paint job was just bad, the 2nd time I had all the prep done in my garage and sent it to a local paint shop with a good booth I paid him $2500 just to final block and spray and I furnished all the materials. I gave him a gallon of very good paint, he used 1 quart on thecar, missed the rockers, left clear coat off several areas and the car was full of shadows. Larry

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Larry,
The car looks great!!! Wish you could have it ready to bring to Ohio. I usually get 2 gallions of paint for a frame off where you are painting everything. Don't usually have much left over. Look forward to seeing you in Ohio. Are you coming to Charlotte? The AACA is having their Spring National Meet again this year in conjunction with the AutoFair so I plan to bring the '61 SS to that.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Larry, That car came out gorgeous!!. :loveI hope when my '61 bel-air comes back from paint down the road, it looks as great as yours. My problem is I want my B/A black.:) I know there are many good paint and body guys here on Long Island but this car is on the back burner for now. :cryThe '57 is top of the list.:cool: Again the best of luck finishing the resto. Lots of pics please :cheers

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think bagging and labeling parts is over rated as you can see by the pictures of my office I keep all my parts where I can see them. But, wife not very happy, maybe it would be better to bag and use the garage next time.
Tommy, I don’t think I will go the Charlotte until the fall show. Congratulations on the 61 looking forward to seeing it in Ohio. Larry
61 Impala 122.jpg

61 Impala 124.jpg

61 Impala 127.jpg

61 Impala 047.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Given my memory...

Larry:

If I had all that space, I'd probably lay things in plain sight as well :).

Plus in my case there's usually a 2-3 year lag between disassembly and reassembly, and with my fading memory, it's easy to forget what part goes where and in what sequence it needs to be done in!

Sorry to learn that it took three tries and apparently a bit of cash to get where you are. That would be frustrating to me... I used about 4 gallons in primer and two full gallons of color when I did my Impala. I bet I blocked two gallons off the car! We put it on a bit thick on the top (four color coats) and I learned my lesson when I went to put those tricky stainless steel pieces over the roof rail :(. I was thinking of taking a bit off the top when I cut it for color sanding, but you never get in those edges, especially when you know that part is to be covered by trim...

My result was a somewhat amateur job, but good enough from 5 feet. OK for a driver, but less than satisfactory for a show car. I'll have to settle for "distance awards". :) :) :).

Keep us posted as your project moves along, it provides a bit of inspiration for us to turn off Speed Channel and go out into the garage :).

Cheers!
TomK