61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
1ST, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ON THIS SITE!! It has been a pleasure over these last few years to have gained a lot more knowledge from you all, from just reading your post, to actually receiving help on many of my questions.....so much appreciated. Now, a little update...went to H&H in Bentonville ,Ar. a couple days ago and brought back new floor halves for my Biscayne. Even spending a week cleaning up the patch pnls. left me unhappy with the results. Soooo, new floors, just like i did for my wagon. It's to bad that GM laid down rubber floor mats in the old days against the bare floors. They all rusted out due to condensation btw them. Yet the outside of the cars are relatively rust free. If there would have been insulation under the rubber, i think it would have helped alot. My 333 truck heads are getting new 1.72 & 2.19 valves, screw in studs, guide plates and associated hardware. New isky flat tappet cam....this is for my new 348/409 shortblock, (380 cubes) and probably the 2X4's off my 348 in the bubbletop and then this engine will end up in same. My stroked 409.....still shooting for going in the Biscayne i think......could change my mind next week and switch them. LOL Happy New Year everyone and GOD BLESS!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hey Dean, Merry Christmas to you as well (and to all on this Site!).!!!
Am heading to the Hot Springs AR area, I know Bentonville a bit, where is H&H? Not sure I've heard of them.

Glad to learn that you are making good progress. I stripped paint from the fenders on the'62 convert project and found the same things, patchwork repairs and bondo :(.

Here's to a healthy and prosperous 2018!

TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
1ST, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ON THIS SITE!! It has been a pleasure over these last few years to have gained a lot more knowledge from you all, from just reading your post, to actually receiving help on many of my questions.....so much appreciated. Now, a little update...went to H&H in Bentonville ,Ar. a couple days ago and brought back new floor halves for my Biscayne. Even spending a week cleaning up the patch pnls. left me unhappy with the results. Soooo, new floors, just like i did for my wagon. It's to bad that GM laid down rubber floor mats in the old days against the bare floors. They all rusted out due to condensation btw them. Yet the outside of the cars are relatively rust free. If there would have been insulation under the rubber, i think it would have helped alot. My 333 truck heads are getting new 1.72 & 2.19 valves, screw in studs, guide plates and associated hardware. New isky flat tappet cam....this is for my new 348/409 shortblock, (380 cubes) and probably the 2X4's off my 348 in the bubbletop and then this engine will end up in same. My stroked 409.....still shooting for going in the Biscayne i think......could change my mind next week and switch them. LOL Happy New Year everyone and GOD BLESS!
Hey Dean we like picture's.!!!!:D Maybe you should have waited for Christmas ,the floor panel's might have been under the tree!!!!:rub

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sorry Tom, been out of town for couple days..Surprised you haven't heard of H&H restoration parts. They usually have a big red 5th wheel at all the larger swap meets and sell exclusively Chevrolet parts , body pnls, etc. Look them up on line. Have a Happy New Year!

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
well, the 4 patch pnl. floors finally are being cut out and it is a tedious job. The floor braces are like new (paint and all) but the dropped in patch work was welded over the top of the original spot welds and so cutting the welds has and is loads of fun???? couple of pics enclosed to show not so great work i am cutting out and what new floors will be. Yes, going back on the spot weld area is a lot of work, but when it is done and seam sealed, it will look stock except for one weld down the center of the tunnel. The 4 patches would have been fine if the had been cut to fit instead of holes cut, panels dropped in and welded from the top leaving 2 to 3 inch skirt hanging down.....looked really bad from the bottom. Unfortunately even CA. car floors rotted out on the cheaper rubber floor mat cars because of condensation. My biscayne is rock solid on the outside. Not much else for now... Will put my stroked 409 in my bubbletop soon, and leave my 380 incher for the Biscayne. Dean

Attachments

• 20180110_095609.jpg
    20180110_095609.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180110_095556.jpg
    20180110_095556.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180110_094957.jpg
    20180110_094957.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180110_095443.jpg
    20180110_095443.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 57

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
took a break from floor work on the Biscayne to go to a car car show in Wichita, Ks. with my twin brother, and his 58 year owned 40 Chev coupe; just kicked back and enjoyed the cars and crowd. Hope you all are well in the new year.

Attachments

• 20180119_175845.jpg
    20180119_175845.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180119_175926.jpg
    20180119_175926.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20180119_175748.jpg
    20180119_175748.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20180119_175535.jpg
    20180119_175535.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 34

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
yes Phil, Starbird sold his rights to the show to 9 local area business men 5 yrs. ago....now called "Cars for Charities" show with all proceeds going to local Wichita area charitable organizations.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok, i'm ready to start figuring out this clutch linkage......and you all are very helpful in this area. Did someone say the 6 cyl. linkage would work on a W motor? Also in my mind i remember that i was told 61 or 62 linkage would work if you had all the pieces. Any one willing to take a pic of said linkage and post it here? You don't know how much appreciated this would be. Thanks,Dean

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have original pictures of 61 and 62 linkage including all the necessary pieces not on a car for both years.

The pedals under the dash is what makes the difference for which year to use(unless you do not have clutch and brake pedals).
Original 61 under dash clutch and brake pedal linkage has a large pull back spring above the brake pedal -unless you have a PG pedal.
Original 1962 under dash clutch a brake pedal do not have any springs on or near the under dash brace above the pedals.
Under dash 1961 and 1962 clutch and brake pedals "metal brace/supports" only fit 61 and 62's because the dashes are the same.
With that said which pedals do you have?
Do you have the 3 speed or 4 speed frame bracket that holds cross shaft or as some call it a Z bar ?

I have extra 61 and 62 clutch and brake pedals and restored original linkage parts for both years

Paul

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Paul, this was a 6 cyl. 3 speed from the factory, so those are the parts i have, since i dis-assembled myself.....working from there

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
So you have a Z bar, upper rod through the firewall, lower rod to the clutch fork and a pin to hold the lower rod to the clutch fork? What did you use for a clutch fork the original one ?(or what type of clutch fork is on the car?)
The 6 cylinder linkage will work. Its way different than a 62. The pull back spring setup and lower rod setup is a really different. than 62's, 63's and 64's. I think 59 and 60 are similar to 61 (but all still different)

The ability to get enough free play is key from my experience and getting the pedal to pull back against the stop under the dash.
what type of bell housing do you have? What number/type ? The originals were cast bell housing ending in number 552.

I can look up my pictures tonight -not home now.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 6 should work, but like Paul says, they can be fussy to get adjusted when you have that big "over center" spring up under the dash. Sometimes they will stay at the floor when you put the pedal down if not adjusted correctly.

The 6 had that bracket mounted on the block to reach out to the z bar (for those that don't know) and I'd guess the pivot ball from the 6 will mount on your V8 block.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
sorry, you guys are kinda losing me. The pivot ball went away with the 6banger. I am using a scattershield and clutch fork that i'm not sure of the origin (came out of a friends 71 Chevelle when he went to a automatic) the other pieces i do have......but i'm not against change if necessary.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Check these two pictures from some all original cars at the Pierce, Nebraska auction for Lambrecht Chevrolet dealer in 2013.
these were unmolested original cars.
The first picture is a 1961 Chevy 6 cylinder -note the extra spring to the firewall like a 62. That spring is not on the assembly manual drawings
The 2nd picture is a 1962 Chevy 3 speed 283 motor Hardtop with the factory spring to the firewall.
PaulDSCN9168.JPGDSCN9191.JPG