61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thanks again Cecil...his is a 872 block with heads that don't have water jackets around the plugs, so could be upgraded to the later heads.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
anybody else block the intake heat risers on 409's.....or is just me being old school (or just plain old)???I had plates tach welded in my 881 intake, but now have a Eddy intake and wondering about blocking them. I do run a crossover in the exhaust system, but now have Wilson headers to contend with...any thoughts appreciated.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Naaah you’re not old, just old school:good I welded the crossover ports shut on the intake and it runs great warm but it’s a cold blooded b—-h from November to April. I don’t drive it hardly at all in the winter. I’m sure Don has reasons for keepin’ em open.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mines blocked off in my old 283 (sold) and 409, never had a real problem in cold weather, don’t drive it after road salt hits the road in the winter. I have driven it in January when it was say in the 20’s.

Starts up easy and then idles by itself. Not sure if my idle and timing settings would make a difference?

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
well, trying to get back on the Biscayne project...engine back together, just a little more work on the underside and will be ready to install drivetrain hopefully in the next couple weeks. pic of engine, ck. writing on end of heads....LOL Oh yeah, could'nt stand the "rubber grommet and plastic pipe"provided with the eddy intake for PCV so adapted my 60's piece.

Attachments

• 20200714_190000.jpg
    20200714_190000.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200714_185931.jpg
    20200714_185931.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 62

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
well, trying to get back on the Biscayne project...engine back together, just a little more work on the underside and will be ready to install drivetrain hopefully in the next couple weeks. pic of engine, ck. writing on end of heads....LOL Oh yeah, could'nt stand the "rubber grommet and plastic pipe"provided with the eddy intake for PCV so adapted my 60's piece.
I know what those cost!!! Lol

IMG_2956.JPG

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Drove my friends 64 biscayne today with the previously discussed late 58 block (drilled water passages) with big valve 333 heads, Scat 4" stroker kit, Howard roller cam, hugger headers Edelbrock 500 cfm carbs......boy was i surprised!!!!!! Ran very hard. I like the low mount alt. gives the engine compartment ALL motor look.

Attachments

• 20200904_155736.jpg
    20200904_155736.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 44