61 biscayne build

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You've got me worried now Dave. I've never removed mine but did have to replace the driver's quarter piece which the paint shop put it back on with rivets instead of the clips :bang Hope it isn't as bad as you make it sound when I have to take it all off and put it back later.

I've always loved the Bel Air molding myself. Sure is hard to find though.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Let's just say buy up any trim and especially clips that you might run across! Plus a lot of that stuff, being aluminum, took a pounding from shopping carts over the years.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Duuuude!! Id wanna kill someone. F----n morons.
Well the good part about it on mine Kevin is that it's in the painted portion so we'll just fill it and paint over the little hole from the rivets. They only used one at each end.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sorry, been silent on my build for awhile...getting old and slow...no pic update yet, maybe in a couple weeks. Front clip removed, 6 banger and trans. gone. Been spending money, money and more... New tubular A-arms, disc brakes coming. Front frame cleaning, firewall painting...general grunt work going on. When i have something shiny will send couple pics. I still ck. out post periodically. Hope you all are doing well. Dean

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Dean, that's about where I am at with my project (the '62 convertible) except that I've been working out of parts laying around for years, so I haven't spent much as yet :).

Mainly brakes and suspension stuff for the time being. Hope you're having as much fun as I am. Hard part is getting up off the floor :).

Cheers!
TomK

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
yeah, missed Herrington race with the Biscayne..... so consoled myself with my bubble top. Made two passes and won them both!! Still was fun. Now looking forward to Salina flag drags at Leadsled Nats. Dean

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
How about one pic....to let you know i am working on the biscayne......and to bring the convention 409 alive as soon as i can, Dean p.s. that really is seafoam green on the firewall, which the car will be its original color someday.lol.

Attachments

• CAM00413.jpg
    CAM00413.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 151

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks good Dean. Are the heater delete plates suppose to be body color or black?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
How about one pic....to let you know i am working on the biscayne......and to bring the convention 409 alive as soon as i can, Dean p.s. that really is seafoam green on the firewall, which the car will be its original color someday.lol.
Looking good Dean,I knew you would {AND MANY OTHER'S}paint it eventually !!!!!!!:D:DAre you going totally stock looking ,or will there be some aftermarket wheel's involved?????

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Heater delete plate is my own making...painted green because i just wanted it to blend in with firewall, so not black. I plan on running steel wheels, body color, with dog dish caps i use to run on my bubbletop. I also plan on a pair of forged wheels with M&H drag radials for playing around....

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Dean:

You jumped WAY ahead of me on my convert project, so something is going right in Topeka :).

Phased retirement is just around the corner for me, hopefully that will set the spark for more focused effort?

Cheers!
TomK

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks for stopping by at the races in Eddyville this weekend Dean. It was nice to speak with you. That was my first time on the 1/8th mile. I guess we missed each other in Great Bend last year. How did your guy do with the gasser? Man, old Radar went less than 4 seconds and 190 something his last run with his fuel altered. Too bad for the rain out. Nice rig you are working on in this thread.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What did you run in the 1/8th Dave? How did you like it? I know a lot of guys hate anything less than 1/4 mile racing.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Jason

This was my first time at the 1/8th. According to the race calculator I should run around 7.44 and my best run was 7.49@93.52 so I was happy with that. I didn't use 4th gear. I had a case of redlightitis Saturday. Red lighted both qualifying runs and the first run in the first round....dumb ass....................I believe I like the 1/4 better as you should have a better chance of running someone down. Got rained out later on last night and headed home around 10:30, a 2 hour drive. Had a good time. Had a good time talking with Dean and met a young guy,Randy, from Des Moines that is starting on a 61 and putting an o9 in it. He'll be joining the forum i imagine. I don't think those folks down in southern Iowa had ever seen a 409. Lots of visiting and answering questions.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Dave ,know what you mean on red light. The 64 409 iI raced back in the day ,my cousin drove my car when I raced it at great bend and he never red lighted ,quicker rt and better time.Made me feel good in a way and in a way not!!! Green light mean "s go, right????? LOLNever liked the way he side stepped the clutch though.

Last edited: