61 biscayne build

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
"Cheap"offshore made bearings is the cause,not uncommon.Check with Mike [58 Delivery],he has the good ones.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The reason I asked is because I have been using RedLine light shockproof gear oil. This is in a Ford housing with sealed axle bearings and a spool, no posi. No leaks or unusual wear on the one chunk I pulled out (it was a Detroit Locker).

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The "good" stuff is too thin,and will leak around the ''o" rings and will migrate thru the old style bearings.On Daves Ford housing,this is not usually an issue due to the better design of the bearing and seal design.Make sure you follow Dons recommendation on the oil and additive and get the bearings from Mike.You'll be good to go for years.Convential gear oil is getting harder to come by so stock up.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
with the sale of my stroked 409..i have decided to sell off the car, another drive train including rebuilt 348, super T-10 4 speed and 4.10 chevy 12 bolt and many parts. Please see my ad in the for sale section and thanks for following my post, Dean

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok, so maybe in won't sell anytime soon, so might as well work on it....i have several questions for you x-frame buffs. Is a 6 cyl. Z bar the same as a 348? Anyone have occasion to remove the stainless trim around roofline of either a 61 impala 2 dr. sedan(post car) or a 4 dr. sedan...how do you release the clips?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I would provide the comments on the 61 Z bar for 6 cylinder and 348.
The 409 Z bar has a one arm that is longer... I knew that 409's had a longer arm -348 probably did also ?

The only difference could be one of the arms on the Z bar, slightly longer. I have 6 or 7 - 1961 Z bars, they are all the same.
I have removed Z bars from 6 cylinder 61's and 62's on parts cars and in junk yards in Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota and they are the same for 6 cylinder and 283/327 cars. Over the years I saw 100s of 61's and 62's in junk yards and cars friends and "I always looked at the clutch items" on the original cars. They fit v-8's including 409's & 348's and I have used them. The 61 uses a threaded lower rod with lots of adjustment and a fixed length upper rod. We installed a complete 1961 Chevy original clutch system/original bell housing and one of my 1961 Z bars in a 61 Chevy 409 Hardtop (the car was an original 348 TurboGlide Hardtop converted to a 409) and everything fit fine(adjustment was on the lower threaded rod).

All 1961 Clutch rods, arms and Z bars are different than the 1962's and 63's - rods, arms and Z bars.
Also 1961 z-bars have a stud on one arm(the upper one) and a hole in the lower arm.

62 Z bars have holes in the two arms for the upper and lower rods -the 1962 409 Z bar does have "one Z bar arm" that is longer but I have found that the available adjustment on the upper rod allows the use of the 6 cylinder and 283/327 Z bar on a 409 and a 348.

I have complete 61, 62, 63 and 64 Chevy clutch linkage parts that I have
had for many years. I just recently bought a good sized group of 61,62 and 63 clutch parts including Z bars.
Paul

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Ok, so maybe in won't sell anytime soon, so might as well work on it....i have several questions for you x-frame buffs. Is a 6 cyl. Z bar the same as a 348? Anyone have occasion to remove the stainless trim around roofline of either a 61 impala 2 dr. sedan(post car) or a 4 dr. sedan...how do you release the clips?

I removed the roof rail trim from my Belair with a tiny screw driver and a tool I made to lightly pry it up from behind. There were no clips it just wrapped tightly around the back. Took a while.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I think you mean drip rail molding not roof rail molding ?
I saw a video on y tube using a bottle cap remover - to remove the drip rail molding.
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
1863_1.jpg
The good ole day's when you had to poke a hole!!!!!!:D