61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok, i'm taking opinions on the distance btw. the oil pickup tube and the bottom of a 409 truck pan... I am using a 55-s2 pickup tube for the deeper sump but the depth to the bottom of the pan is 8.5" plus. Setting the pickup screen about 1/4 inch gap gives the pickup tube a downward angle that looks too steep.....any thoughts please! thanks

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
no......as i was saying the DOWNWARD angle looks to steep. The clay on the edge of the sump screen is 1/4" of the installed pan

Attachments

• 20181024_151657.jpg
    20181024_151657.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20181024_151743.jpg
    20181024_151743.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 56

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Actually after listening to Scott talk about parallel to the pan and watching a Melling tutorial on Youtube and increasing clearance to 3/8" the screen pickup is parallel to the pan now, duh, after i aligned up the pan which is shallower at the rear and gets deeper towards the drain plug the screen is parallel. Thanks guys, guess we (me) tended to throw stuff together when we were young and it worked, and now i try to out think myself. Oh, Don, i do like to tack weld the pickup to the pump. Thanks again

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
anyone have a exact length of oil pump extension rod with metal collar attached for 348/409? I have one in a plain not marked box that i would like to use. Thanks again

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well, back on my Biscayne project finally, after installing the 409 in my bubbletop and playing with it all summer (heh heh) finally got the biscayne back into the work shop...finishing putting the engine together now....if only i could get a couple of you guys to come and stab it into the car, oh ... and get it running too, you would be really helping out a old man! LOL! Put the heads on today and installed the rockers. I think the 380 will run pretty good, anyway i have high hopes, that with the 4 speed and 4:11 12 bolt. After i finish plumbing the brake lines, i will put in the eng/tran. and start on the exhaust. Thinking of using Wilson headers instead of the 2 1/2 in. exhaust manifolds. I really don't know how restrictive the truck heads are, but with the large valves and a little port work, i am hoping for the best. A (racer) friend of mine said that the isky cam i'm using would be pretty radical if in a small block. Plan on having it running this spring. Hope you all are well and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Attachments

• 20181119_160821.jpg
    20181119_160821.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20181119_160403.jpg
    20181119_160403.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20181119_164720.jpg
    20181119_164720.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 78

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks James, was just kidding... Another question , to block or not block the heat risers in the intake manifold....i have a crossover pipe in my Bubbletop with the heat riser blocked in the intake manifold. The engines exhaust sounds like crap (brackish sound) if there is no crossover some way...any thoughts please.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
like to discuss valve cover spacers...have used 3/8 & 1/2 inch spacers to clear roller rockers (poly locks) and am wondering if there is some other way....sure open to suggestions. thanks, Dean

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok, spacer problem taken care of...i posted in the wanted section for a single groove water pump pulley that measures 6&1/4 dia. by 2&7/8 tall if anyone can help with that. Also anyone running electric cutouts in there exhaust. I would be interested in any thoughts, recommendations in that area. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all and safe travels.