61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
started my 380" today on test stand ...sounded great and started cam break in until valve cover leaks shut me down 10 minutes into run. Problem is running 3/8" spacers in mooneyes valve covers to clear the polylocks on the rockers....I AM LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS to do away with the spacers...is there a better option than the way too long polylocks. Are the almost 3/8 thick edelbrock gaskets a possible way to go? Please help me. thanks

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
started my 380" today on test stand ...sounded great and started cam break in until valve cover leaks shut me down 10 minutes into run. Problem is running 3/8" spacers in mooneyes valve covers to clear the polylocks on the rockers....I AM LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS to do away with the spacers...is there a better option than the way too long polylocks. Are the almost 3/8 thick edelbrock gaskets a possible way to go? Please help me. thanks

I don’t know what the internal dimensions are but I thought that the Lamar Walden valve covers were taller than any of the others out there......Once upon a time BSL409 Had some for sale you could PM him to see if he still had them and or if they are indeed tall enough to clear the poly locks......I don’t know just an idea
The website says they’re 2 inches taller than stock valve covers......They are also $550........

Last edited:

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thanks for the pics Paul...you wouldn't happen to know how tall they are??( don't want you to take them off to ck.) My mooneyes are pretty tall but even with 2 gaskets the poly locks still hit the inside of the valve covers. I have re-glued the spacers with two sets (4) of cork valve cover gaskets and will give it another try tomorrow after they dry...wish me luck..LOL

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
eBay has 1/2 inch spacers and 3/4 inch billet spacers .If you use permatex grey high heat gasket maker and install the correct way the leaks are over.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
A teaser question for you techies... how far recessed in the head are the 333 head valves (now 2.19/1.94) compared to passenger (583/690) heads? Thinking of increasing my lift (ratio) rockers on my 380" motor. Thanks

Last edited:

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes James, i did clay my pistons, but listened to the standard of not exceeding .550 lift on a 348 block, i didn't take into account the 333 heads. My closest point was the notch in the block and was more than a 1/4" gap with my 170 rockers. Seems like i could go back to .175's at least. My total lift at the valve now is .547 by my calculation

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Was this checked with the heads you have now?
The 1.75 rockers will only give you around .020 more lift, so that's not much.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
ok guys, bought a new drive shaft with heavier carrier bearing and slip joint shaft...lining up the arrows to slide in the slip joint puts the opposite end u joints couplers 90 degrees off of my current driveshaft. I understood the clocking on 2 piece shafts was critical. The front shaft ears are clocked even on my new shaft and clocked 90 degrees off on 2 other shafts that i have.....help