61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Really has been fun seeing all you racers at Tri-State and Dragway 42 this summer...and punishing my "street" Impala. Now after all the adrenaline rush in my tired bones; thinking i am going to pull the engine out of my impala and put it in the biscayne behind the 12 bolt and 4 speed with a slight upgrade on the motor (CNC porting on the eddy heads and a different intake) to go along with the wilson headers that i already have for the biscayne...then maybe i could run respectably in the 12's ?? Hope everyone is staying healthy!!!

Attachments

• 69881230_10214405177304902_8516754662878085120_o.jpg
    69881230_10214405177304902_8516754662878085120_o.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 31

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Dean:

Just passed through Topeka yesterday and was thinking how did we both end up at Dragway 42 and didn't bump into one another :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Talked with Rob Walden the other day and am going to send him my heads for some port work and while i'm at it, guess i will tear down the short block, as a leak down ck. today was not that good??? engine is still fairly fresh, but who knows.. Anyway, the 380 motor will go back in my hardtop, and hopefully when i see you all again, the Biscayne will have my 09 motor, hopefully with a little more power. Greetings and good health to you all!

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
looking for info....since i didn't put together my 09 engine and it leak ck. 26 % in a couple cylinders (only 5 were below 10%) and we could here it past the rings, i wonder how so low a mileage engine (with a little hot rodding thrown in)could be that far off?? I have been told all the way from ring gaps to no motor plates when the cyl. were honed. Any ideas would be appreciated....any ideas on what kind of rings to use? Thanks

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I have had good luck with Total Seal Gapless rings.Molly rings require a slicker wall finish than the cast iron ones do,but I've seen too many times when they get them too slick resulting in poor ring seal.On a street driven,10.5-11-1 W engine there should be no need for the honing plates due to the W's 6 bolts per cylinder.It wouldn't hurt either.Total Seal also markets a dry film coating for the cylinder walls that's dynomite for quick effective seal.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hello all....looking to buy 2X4 eddy intake (back ordered) and am wondering how you deal with the open vent hole and is there a splash pan for said hole? any of you racers with a edelbrock intake? thanks, and a very Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just ran out to the garage and gpt a picture. With a little work, I could've made it look like one piece and polished it. But it was only on the four door. This ran straight up to a tube I welded in the air cleaner. I used the proper size grommet in the intake and a short piece of hose connected to the tube on the air cleaner.20191204_161315.jpg

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thanks Jim, do you know if the vent hole in the eddy intake is the same size as the GM 881 hole in the back? And has anyone tried to adapt a GM splash pan to the bottom of the eddy intake. i did that to a offy intake, but the vent hole was in the same location (in back) as a GM

Last edited:

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi everyone, in process of puling engine from hardtop to send heads to Robbi Walden and putting a stroked 348 back into my hardtop. Ran into aliitle issue and wondering if anyone else (racers) have had the same problem. Found my poly motor mounts melted???? Am running 63, 64 type exhaust manifolds. So what should i be running; I have another set of these same mounts for the biscayne which will have Wilson headers, but don't yet how close they will be to the motor mounts.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
How close are the manifolds?
Do you have room for a heat shield?
How was the state of the tune on the engine, retarded timing can make the exhaust run hot.

Last edited:

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
less than 2 inches.....could build shield off the long motor mount bolt. Have been running 36-37 total mechanical. the eastwood paint has not burned off manifolds any James.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Update; intake and heads are back from Rob Walden's (he does great work) and now all i need is my shortblock back from a local machine shop and maybe i will have the biscayne running someday. Changed out the springs on the hardtop; they were sinking too low for the truck oil pan and were almost 60 yrs. old, so raised her back up to nose bleed level (taking some getting use too) after all my previous old cars were always lowered. Hope all of you are well with this Kung flu stuff and ready to get back to normal living...later P.S. A friend is wanting to build a 58 348 engine...can later heads be used with the 58 block with modifications?? thanks