'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Can anyone suggest a good clutch and flywheel for my build. I don't plan to go to the track with slicks but someone on Chevy talk keep hounding me about a scatter shield and says mine will fail. I have a Hays clutch with a stock flywheel 3973456 N that I had resurfaced. I probably should replace that at least. They were ment for my first mostly stock 348 but things changed.
Was looking at these and their clutches.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerforce/183/700120/10002/-1

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That flywheel you posted is 36 Lbs. I would stay under 30 and closer to mid 20's or go aluminum. Your going to have plenty of torque you don't need a big heavy flywheel.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
That flywheel you posted is 36 Lbs. I would stay under 30 and closer to mid 20's or go aluminum. Your going to have plenty of torque you don't need a big heavy flywheel.

Not saying your wrong but Jeff from Midwest Muncies told me the opposite as to going light and aluminum. Said the 348 works better at low rpm with heavy flywheel. I was told to stay away from Center Force and Jeff told me to go with them too though. I have been looking on Jegs website they also offer Ram clutches but I don't know anything about them either.
My buddy that drag races said when he had a gear box he used Phoenix Clutches. Any insight on clutches that will work well for me and not be like pushing a rock at the peddle?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I was also wondering what the widest tire I can stuff in the rear? I have 8.5 x 18's with a +10 offset all around because I wanted to be able to rotate the tires and wasn't sure how wide I could go in the rear.

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was also wondering what the widest tire I can stuff in the rear? I have 8.5 x 18's with a +10 offset all around because I wanted to be able to rotate the tires and wasn't sure how wide I could go in the rear.
I believe a 255 is about as big as you can go on a 8.5 rim, which should have no problem fitting under there. You could be absolutely sure and buy the cheapest "Wheel Rite" you can find online. They're an overpriced piece of plastic, but I know two people that have used them and it worked great. Just sell it when you're done and get what you can out of it.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I believe a 255 is about as big as you can go on a 8.5 rim, which should have no problem fitting under there. You could be absolutely sure and buy the cheapest "Wheel Rite" you can find online. They're an overpriced piece of plastic, but I know two people that have used them and it worked great. Just sell it when you're done and get what you can out of it.

I was asking how wide of a wheel and tire can I fit in the rear. I have Vision Legend wheels 18x8.5 235/40's . I think 9.5 is the widest they offer.
I plan to keep the car unless someone makes me an off I cant refuse. If I was going to sell it I would have just thrown the 400 sb I have in this thing and been done with it lol.
Maybe my next car will be a flipper but I want a 54 chevy so I might not want to sell it either.

Last edited:

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was asking how wide of a wheel and tire can I fit in the rear. I have Vision Legend wheels 18x8.5 235/40's . I think 9.5 is the widest they offer.
I plan to keep the car unless someone makes me an off I cant refuse. If I was going to sell it I would have just thrown the 400 sb I have in this thing and been done with it lol.
Maybe my next car will be a flipper but I want a 54 chevy so I might not want to sell it either.
I was going by what you stated you had for wheels(8.5x18). Now, if you're going to buy different wheels that can take a wider tire, you may be able go up to 275 or 285. Do a search on here and you will probably find something. Exhaust diameter and routing can factor in also.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I was going by what you stated you had for wheels(8.5x18). Now, if you're going to buy different wheels that can take a wider tire, you may be able go up to 275 or 285. Do a search on here and you will probably find something. Exhaust diameter and routing can factor in also.

Ok thanks. I'm planning on dumping the exhaust out the sides in front of the tires so that wont be an issue.
The Vision Legend wheels are just cheep Chinese cast wheels. The center caps are plastic too. They look cool but not sure they have much quality in terms of strength. Spicily with 40's. not much side wall. Thinking 50's would have looked better and filled up the wheel well better.
My Junkyard buddy calls them N*@@&r wheels. I didn't want to go ghetto but don't like the way smaller wheels look either.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Has anyone used or delt with Richmond/ Doug Nash 5 speeds in 61's or similar cars? Curious how well it will fit and will the shifter be in the same spot or stick way out of the floor?
I found a guy with one built for the street but its used and he wants $1500 for it.

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Has anyone used or delt with Richmond/ Doug Nash 5 speeds in 61's or similar cars? Curious how well it will fit and will the shifter be in the same spot or stick way out of the floor?
I found a guy with one built for the street but its used and he wants $1500 for it.
I have the Richmond ROD 6-speed in my Bel-Air. Shifter is 3" aft so I had to modify the extension panel, shift arm and moved the seat to the forward holes which moves the seat back 1". The Richmond 5 and Doug Nash 5 I believe the shifter is in the same place as 4-speed.

Extention Panel for Richmond 6-Speed 3.jpg Extention Panel for Richmond 6-Speed 2.jpg Interior 5.jpg Shift Boot 1.jpg Shifter 4.jpg shifter 2.jpg

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Regarding widest wheel, I know my '59 El Camino will easily take a 285. The owner borrowed wheel off a customers car and bolted it on to check clearances for me. I believe it was a 285/35/R18 on a Chip Foose wheel. I know the rim didn't have a huge offset. This was done after I swapped out the axle for one which is 1.5 inches wider overall. I think the rim was 10.5 in width.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Regarding widest wheel, I know my '59 El Camino will easily take a 285. The owner borrowed wheel off a customers car and bolted it on to check clearances for me. I believe it was a 285/35/R18 on a Chip Foose wheel. I know the rim didn't have a huge offset. This was done after I swapped out the axle for one which is 1.5 inches wider overall. I think the rim was 10.5 in width.

Any chance you could find out the offset?
I should remeasure my back spacing and call a few places. The guy I bought mine from didn't know.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Dan(Tripower) do have the hurst shifter model # that you used for your 6 speed ? Also what driveshaft length did you end up with ? Was it the same a factory 4 speed ?
I wanted to compare it to my 5 speed without overdrive and the shifter location like your pictures.
I drove a Richmond 5 speed in a friends 61 Impala and it shifts just like a muncie or borg warner. I have not driven mine yet.
Sycsteve had a discussion on my 5 speed transmission without overdrive and the availability of parts for it.
Paul

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan(Tripower) do have the hurst shifter model # that you used for your 6 speed ? Also what driveshaft length did you end up with ? Was it the same a factory 4 speed ?
I wanted to compare it to my 5 speed without overdrive and the shifter location like your pictures.
I drove a Richmond 5 speed in a friends 61 Impala and it shifts just like a muncie or borg warner. I have not driven mine yet.
Sycsteve had a discussion on my 5 speed transmission without overdrive and the availability of parts for it.
Paul
Paul,
My trany came woth long shifter but I modified a Hurst lever to fit my application. Drive shaft is 24-5/8" same as stock as both the Richmond 5 & 6 speed tranys are the same length as 4-speed. The new Richmond Street 5 with OD utilizes the same case as the Richmond ROD 6-speed but uses much heavier built gear sets to sustain a higher torque rating of 650 and there for has the shifter set back 3" unlike the Richmond 5 without OD.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I found a formula on chevy talk or one of the camero sites I think it was that was for figuring out what your HP and torque will be for an engine. One of the guys at the shop building my short block told me it does not apply to 348's and I am wrong about what my engine will be putting out. I don't have the link for what I found but am I wrong?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I did find this formula too.
http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-engines/formula-for-determining-horsepower-zmaz66mjzull.aspx

But the one I used was more like this and puts me at 505 hp. (roughly)
http://www.bgsoflex.com/roughhp.html

The guy I talk to all the time mostly works the front desk and answers the phone paper work guy and business partner of the owner. Said if my engine was going to put out more than the 100 or so stock hp he would have people breaking down his door to build these engines. Hes kind of pissing me off. I grew up with his kids so I'm trying to be nice for some reason.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm no engine expert, but I can't see how either calculator could be accurate since they don't take any "engine specific" data into account. Like carb size, intake design, valve train information or exhaust set up. :dunno