'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

sycsteve

Well Known Member
When I built or decided how I want my 348 built I was going somewhat buy a story I found on hot rods website where they built a 600 some hp 437c.i 348. Accept I went the more street able route with hydraulic lifters and 10.5 :1 pistons.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I'm no engine expert, but I can't see how either calculator could be accurate since they don't take any "engine specific" data into account. Like carb size, intake design, valve train information or exhaust set up. :dunno

Probably why it says rough calculator.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Any way he said it would be hard to believe if I'm even close to 400 h.p even with my setup because these engines don't breath and they are not modern wonders like they are use to building for the wealthy race customer's

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Any chance you could find out the offset?
I should remeasure my back spacing and call a few places. The guy I bought mine from didn't know.
What I would do is either buy a junk tire (without a rim if possible) of roughly the width you want and mock it in place where you want it and have good clearances. Measure how much space there is from the mounting flange to the back most part of the tire. This will give you your rough back space measurement.
The other option would be to take piece of plywood or an old brake rotor (easiest since bolt pattern is correct), attach a piece of bar stock or other metal rod (magnet or tack weld) to the face. Make sure it is long enough to represent tire height overall. Then take another piece of metal and attach it so it represents the tire width. I plan on using something similar to measure my clearances for my front wheel
I wouldn't worry too much about offset and focus more on the backspace. They are both related, but backspace is easiest to think about.
I think the rim being used was either 18x9 or 18x10 and the back space was 6 or 6.5 inches. But even I would take this with a grain of salt and find a way to do a mock up and take good measurements. There is nothing worse than trying to get money back on something non-refundable.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What are y9ur cam specs,what are you planning for carbs and headers? I saw [someplace] where you had posted the specs,but can't find it now.I can run these specs thru my simulator program.If I rememnber correctly,youll like the torque of this combo[well in excess of 500 ft.lbs,but not quite 5 00 hp]
It's torque that moves the car anyway.

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Any way he said it would be hard to believe if I'm even close to 400 h.p even with my setup because these engines don't breath and they are not modern wonders like they are use to building for the wealthy race customer's

He is obviously smarter than anyone, just ask him. Lay some rubber in front of his shop and tell him you are glad this old truck motor doesn't make big power like a modern engine, you couldn't afford the cost of rubber.

Ronnie will recommend a K&N too, it will make a lot more power then.:cool::cool::winner:winner

sycsteve

Well Known Member
He is obviously smarter than anyone, just ask him. Lay some rubber in front of his shop and tell him you are glad this old truck motor doesn't make big power like a modern engine, you couldn't afford the cost of rubber.

Ronnie will recommend a K&N too, it will make a lot more power then.:cool::cool::winner:winner

I posted this on their Facebook page but it went to visitor comments.

Link won't work

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
The K&N filter didn't work so well for my girlfriends Arctic Cat 650 H1 ATV. $50 sponge lol. They do work well on cars though. I will have to look into one.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Tell him to watch this old truck motor driven by some old Chevy guy. I think he even tuned it himself. Make sure you get the K&N.

I find it hard to believe that car wouldn't do a burnout before the air cleaners though.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I find it hard to believe that car wouldn't do a burnout before the air cleaners though.
Ronnie is a bit sarcastic, making fun of the people who buy K&N for the "100HP" increase in power.......................... I was being sarcastic too.

Don

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Ronnie is a bit sarcastic, making fun of the people who buy K&N for the "100HP" increase in power.......................... I was being sarcastic too.

Don

I was going to say. 100h.p seems a little much for just an air filter. I have friends that put them on their trucks and I didn't notice much of a difference riding in them. For the cost you would think it would be worth it though. Only bonus is being able to reuse them.
It made my ATV run worse on the bottom end. I even tried cleaning some of the oil out of it.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Does anyone ever restore or herd of a 6 cylinder big block truck? My junkyard buddy in Amboy IL has an old dump truck in his building with a 6 cylinder big block. Pretty cool I think. Never knew they were made. If I remember correctly it kind of looks like a W block. Haven't been in that building for 8 years or more now.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's a GMC, made for a few years in the early 60's, not much of a motor other than being good looking. Google the GMC V12 version.

IMG_0670.jpg

sycsteve

Well Known Member
That's a GMC, made for a few years in the early 60's, not much of a motor other than being good looking. Google the GMC V12 version.

IMG_0670.jpg

That looks crazy but awesome too. Like a hotrod experiment. As my junk yard buddy would say that's the Cool Guy Shit.