'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Might be a good time to do a compression test and a leak down test . Might save you some aggravation trying to cure the problem. Sound's excessive with a draft tube to blow that much oil out. Just saying.

Im sure auto machine screwed me there too. I'll check this afternoon. The oil has gotten worse in the past month.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If it is an Edelbrock intake and you are using the breather hole in the intake, my guess is that the problem is in the lack of proper baffling on the under side of the manifold. I had a very high oil consumption issue when I first ran my Edelbrock intake. There was even a note that stated not to use a pcv valve in the intake/ lifter valley hole due to oil consumption issues. I put a pcv valve in my oil fill cap and a straight tube from the intake hole To my air cleaner and still had oil pushing into my air cleaner. I resolved the problem by making a small aluminum baffled tube to connect the intake hole to the air cleaner, no more oil up into the air cleaner. You may need better baffling to prevent oil pushing out the breather.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
If it is an Edelbrock intake and you are using the breather hole in the intake, my guess is that the problem is in the lack of proper baffling on the under side of the manifold. I had a very high oil consumption issue when I first ran my Edelbrock intake. There was even a note that stated not to use a pcv valve in the intake/ lifter valley hole due to oil consumption issues. I put a pcv valve in my oil fill cap and a straight tube from the intake hole To my air cleaner and still had oil pushing into my air cleaner. I resolved the problem by making a small aluminum baffled tube to connect the intake hole to the air cleaner, no more oil up into the air cleaner. You may need better baffling to prevent oil pushing out the breather.

It is the Edelbrock intake. I used their plate that came with it.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
While you could use the external part on a factory intake,and possibly on an Offy,it won't work on an Eddy.There's no place for the internal baffle to go in W engine.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
A mechanic friend of mine says if Auto Machine did not use the correct hone for chrome molly rings it will be a long time before the seat correctly.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks, I'm loving the car. Way more attention than I expected to get at shows.
The tag in the door jam is 11111. I think it was built in Janesville Wisconsin from what I was told by another 61 owner.
Very cool car indeed. Take lots of pictures and videos.. Been a lot of years having ours and thought we had a lot of pictures and videos but as time goes on I try to find them and I see a few but not near i thought we had.. Have fun.. Awesome cars to say the least... Butch

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Think i should have listened to Borowskies and rebuilt taken it apart before i installed auto machines work.#4 was soaked with oil. 5 burning it. Around 700 miles.20180809_052958.jpg20180809_052948.jpg20180809_052850.jpg