'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I'm using 20-50 and a Lunati gear.

I had the bronze gear with a high volume pump and 20w-50 oil. The Lunati everwear gear i got looks just like the mds iron gear.
Decided to file a very small groove in my distributor now. Ill put some miles on it and see what it looks like

dave1961

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had the bronze gear with a high volume pump and 20w-50 oil. The Lunati everwear gear i got looks just like the mds iron gear.
Decided to file a very small groove in my distributor now. Ill put some miles on it and see what it looks like

Does your motor really need 20/50 oil in it, 10/40 or 10/30 will put a lot less load on that dist gear?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Does your motor really need 20/50 oil in it, 10/40 or 10/30 will put a lot less load on that dist gear?

Thats what i was wondering in a few posts back. I supose if or when it gets really hot.
I figured guys use it because engines in the past has poor clerance issues so they used it to protect from hard driving or racing. My engine is or was like new so i assume if it was assembled correctly it shouldn't be an issue.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It will depend on how much bearing clearance the engine was set up with,and your rpm goals are.Stock clearances are usually .0015-.002,"performance"clearances are usually about .001-.0015 looser.I once put a rebuilt 265[stock] into a 56 for a customer.It was in March or so,and still got pretty cold at night,and he had put 20-50 oil in and it had a high volume pump in it.When it started up,it snapped the plastic oil pump sleeve,and broke the oil pump tangs.I got to pull the engine back out,replace the crank and bearings.That was the last time that I used the stock oil pump drive in ANY small block Chevy and that was in 1978.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Is there any advantage or reason I would want to remove my bypass hose from my water pump and use a restrictor washer in my thermostat housing? I had a guy arguing with me that I need do this to my engine an it will run so much cooler. He has his Fire Bird rally cross car set up like this. I really don't see that tiny hose making that much of a difference.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Is there any advantage or reason I would want to remove my bypass hose from my water pump and use a restrictor washer in my thermostat housing? I had a guy arguing with me that I need do this to my engine an it will run so much cooler. He has his Fire Bird rally cross car set up like this. I really don't see that tiny hose making that much of a difference.
Steve,it's possible to run an engine too cold,so on a street car I wouldn't do it.On the Pontiac,the by-pass is made into the intake manifold,and the timing cover unless he' plugged them off.This BS about running a street engine down around 160 or less is just that as it will cause problems with things oil temps being too low.A good range for a street engine is in the 185-210 range.If you're running there,you're good.Leave the by-pass in place.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Steve,it's possible to run an engine too cold,so on a street car I wouldn't do it.On the Pontiac,the by-pass is made into the intake manifold,and the timing cover unless he' plugged them off.This BS about running a street engine down around 160 or less is just that as it will cause problems with things oil temps being too low.A good range for a street engine is in the 185-210 range.If you're running there,you're good.Leave the by-pass in place.

Ok thanks. Thats What i figured.
I run from 180 to 200 now with the SPAL fans I bought. This guy seemed a little nutty any way lol.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Can't tell anything from that stamping. What is the casting number and date?
Passed on that block. Found a fresh .060 over 454 block with Milodon 4 bolt conversion and groved for o rings to build a 496 stroker.
Been talking to a farmer by me who claims his friend has a barn full of 348 and 409 blocks. Old school drag race guy. Crazy I just stopped for pumpkins and seeds because he had 69 nova parked out there when sweet corn was selling.
Maybe he will hook me up with a deal.